Chapter 8

I woke up to a strange vicinity and found out I was still in his room. Memories from last night came to me as crystal clear, the confession, the kiss, and the cuddle came to me at once and I could feel all the heat rushing to my face. Good thing he's not here because I couldn't face him right now. I hopped out of the bed and my eyes roamed around the room. To my left, there stood his study table and lots of pictures were posted on the wall. I inched closer to give me a clearer view of the pictures. I saw different places with dates on them and found out that the pictures were all taken around this year. And realization dawn on me, Gabe was not only a photographer but also a traveler. I remembered what he said to me when I asked him how did he manage to get out of the labyrinth months ago and he answered "By falling in love with the world. "

    "You're awake, " he said and I didn't notice the door opening because I was too focused on my thoughts.

    "I didn't know you're a traveler, " I said and his eyes shifted to the pictures on the wall and back to me.

    "You didn't ask and I thought it was not something relevant to talk about, "

    "Why did you stay?" I blurted, my eyes not leaving his. I continued, "It has been 3 months and yet you're still here. Is it because of me?"

    "N-no, I mean yes I-" he seemed lost for words.

    "It is your dream to travel around the world and you gave up that dream because of me?" It was more like a statement than a question.

    "Because you're my world now, Audrey, I love you more than anything in this world. " his eyes were pleading.

    "And do you think I'll be happy knowing I am the reason for ruining someone's dreams? No, I know what it feels like to live a life not living the dreams you long hoped for."

    "But Audrey-" I cut him off. "No, Gabe, I think we're better off as friends." He looked dejected. I walked past him because I couldn't bear seeing him like that.
_____

    None of us spoke in the car on the way to my house. When we arrived at my house, I was the one who spoke.

    "Thank you and I'm sorry for what happened, " I searched for his eyes and saw the hurt he was trying to hide but failed. I continued, "Call me when you're home, " he kissed my forehead before he got inside the car and drove. I was still standing in the doorway until he was out of sight when my phone rang. I picked up the phone and answered the call.

    "Hi, stranger, " I recognized the voice and it was from Lucy.

    "Hello Lucy, I'm sorry I couldn't keep in touch with you. It's just I have a lot on my plate right now. How have you been?" I felt a pang of guilty for ditching my best friend for months.

    "I know you've been through some shits but at least I was there when no one did. I'm sorry for sounding like a bitch but you deserve it. " she paused for a second and continue, "Anyway, I just wanted to inform you that my wedding will be in three days and I want my best friend to be there. " I was bewildered by her sudden announcement.

    "Oh Lucy, I'm so happy for you and Fred. I knew you guys would make it. Of course, I'll be there, "

    "Okay, I'll hang up now. See you soonest! " 

To be continued.