chapter fourteen, forgive

Today Shoyo's family hosted his funeral, you questioned yourself,

Is it even right for me to show my face there? Shoyo's death is all my fault. I don't even deserve the right to even say his name out loud.

Still... there was a way for you to not go to his funeral...

Your mom was fixing the sleeves on your dress, "today, the day" she mumbled, a frown forming on her face. "I don't want to say goodbye to him, mom" you uttered. "It'll be okay, think of this as.. a chance to say goodbye" your mother responded, taking a step back from you. Your mother grabbed her jacket that was wrapped behind a wooden chair, "let's go, we don't want to be late, now" she hummed.

The car ride to Shoyo's funeral was quiet, you looked out of the window and wondered,

What if I never told him. He might have grown up to be a famous volleyball player, he might still be telling you his weird jokes and taking you out for ice cream.

He might still be alive.

The funeral was hosted at a quiet church, you saw a lot of familiar faces, such as Karasuno's volleyball team, Kōji Sekimukai, Yukitaka Izumi, Kuroo, and Kenma...

You couldn't believe that they dared to show their faces here. Your mother looked around the room, "I'll be right back, I should go talk to Shoyo's mother... Wait right here, okay?" she announced. You watched your mother walk away to hug Shoyo's sobbing mother.

The room was filled with all the people Hinata's has affected. You could see even Tsukishima crying in the corner with Yamaguchi trying to console him.

A dark wooden casket caught your eye, you held your breath as you walked towards it, you were mentally preparing yourself for what you were about to see.

There laid your best friend, the boy who was willing to sacrifice anything and everything to make you happy, Hinata Shoyo. He looked so peaceful with his eyes closed and hands locked together in front of his chest.

You couldn't help but haunted by the terrifying face, Hinata had as Kenma squeezed the last bit of oxygen out his lungs. Your tears trailed down from your chin to your collarbone, covering your eyes with your forearm, you sobbed.

You felt a warm, large hand rubbing your back.

"This didn't need to happen, isn't that right, Kenma?" Kuroo mumbled. You slowly turned your head to see Kuroo and Kenma, between you. They were wearing black suits, Kuroo's hair looked less messy than usual, while Kenma had his hair tied up. "I want to be alone" you whimpered, your shoulders becoming tense.

Kuroo rested his head on your shoulder, from an outsider's perspective it probably looked like they were comforting you. "You're only saying that because you're sad, we know you need us" Kuroo whispered in your ear, softly laying a kiss on the outer rim of your ear. 

You remained silent, trying to figure out your next decision, the thoughts in your mind argued with each other.

I should push them back, right?

That would cause a scene, Y/n.. we wouldn't want to disturb Hinata's funeral.

But I don't want them here, I don't want them around me, anymore!

But they love me so much... How could I not want them?

Kenma broke your thoughts as his hand ghosted over yours, slowly holding it and bringing it up to his lips, "the last time we left you alone, killed Shoyo. Are you really sure you want that?" Kenma asked.