Zoyalina

Hope you like this!

Zoya

"What are you looking at?" I ask Alina suspiciously. She blushes and laughs. That laugh is my weakness, and I grin happily.

"Nothing, just wondering when Nikolai's gonna persuade you to marry him."

"What's that supposed to mean?" I ask.

"Nothing, nothing." She waves me off. I study Alina's face, bathed in the strips of moonlight coming through the windows of my sitting room. She takes a shot of kvas and gulps it down. I snatch the bottle away.

"Hey!" She protests.

"You're already way too drunk, and we have meetings tomorrow!" Alina makes a clumsy grab for the bottle, but I hold it up slightly out of her reach. She trips and falls onto my lap, giggling. I stiffen.

"Are you okay?" She asks with a worried look.

Of course not, I think to myself. Alina Starkov is on my saints forsaken lap.

"Of course I am!" I lie. "Nothing can faze the great General Nazyalensky!" Other than you, I think.

Alina

"Of course I am!" Zoya says, clearly bluffing. "Nothing can faze the great General Nazyalensky!" Saints, I want to kiss her. I study her lovely face. She obviously doesn't think the same, I ridicule myself. I realize I am still on her lap and hasten to my feet, blushing.

"Nothing?" I ask her.

"Sorry, what were you saying?" Zoya asks, shaking her head as if to clear it.

"Oh, uh, I was just wondering whether absolutely nothing fazed you," I say awkwardly.

Zoya shrugs. "Yep."

"Even this?" I lean back closer to her face and kiss her quickly. She is rendered speechless and pauses. "Saints, I'm sorry Zoya, I shouldn't have done that. I'm way too drunk."

She suddenly pulls me into her lap, causing our lips to collide clumsily. I guess she does feel the same way.

Zoya

Alina Starkov kissed me, I think as I pull her closer. My heart pounds. Who thought she'd do it first?

We break apart and stare at each other.

"You-?" We both say at once and Alina laughs.

That laugh will be the end of me, I think, pulling her closer. Alina sloppily kisses me on the neck and I gently tilt her head to mine and kiss her. She clutches my kefta, pulling me closer. The knock on the door is almost lost, but I hear it and bolt upright. Alina almost tumbles out of my lap and glares at me.

"Shit, there's someone at the door," I whisper. Alina stands up and launches herself into the chair across from mine as the door opens and Nikolai comes in. Nikolai bursts out laughing when he sees Alina, who has somehow ended up backwards in her chair with her feet sticking up towards Nikolai and her adorable face turned to me. She tries to flip around in her chair, but just falls out.

"I see you girls have been busy," Nikolai says. I almost choke on nothing until I realize he's looking at the bottle of kvas on the floor. I wonder briefly how it didn't shatter, but decide it doesn't matter.

"What do you need?" I ask Nikolai, putting on an air of annoyance.

"I was wondering where you were." He smiles. "It's midnight."

"Already?" Alina says with a yawn. Nikolai and I laugh.

"I'll take our very drunken friend to her room, and then I'll go to bed, I promise," I tell him. "Actually scratch that, she's already asleep." I laugh.

Nikolai quietly leaves the room, closing the door. I scoop up Alina in my arms and I am surprised at how light she is. Her white hair falls over her eyes as I carry her through the door and brush it away.

Alina

I wake up in an unfamiliar bed, and look over to see Zoya beside me. Somehow she looks put together, even though she is still wearing her wrinkled kefta from yesterday. Her eyes open sleepily and I kiss her forehead. She startles awake and almost launches herself out of bed. I laugh and she self consciously smooths out her kefta.

"I- um, gotta go," Zoya mumbles, leaving the room. Never thought I'd see her mumble, I think to myself.

Ignore the non-existent ending, I hope you like this!