Chapter 5

Just as Luci had thought, Pendergast was none too thrilled about their next activity with Bean.

"I don't know, Luci. poetry tends to be all flowery words, I'm surprised that it's even something Bean is genuinely interested in."

"Hey, those 'flowery words' are your ticket to becoming official with Bean. Bean may not be the typical girl, but she still is one, and any girl would like to hear herself compared to a summer's day, or whatever."

Honestly, what did he think Luci had been doing while he was walking around inside of the knight? It may not have been poetry he was spouting to Bean, but it was the words that she longed to hear, the things that would help them (him) break down her defenses and let them (him) into her heart.

"Hmm, if what you say is true, then perhaps this would make a good opportunity for me to try spending time with her as myself," Pendergast mused. It sounded as if this was something he had been thinking on for a while now, and only just now bringing it up.

Luci laughed, even though he could tell Pendergast was serious. "Uh, nuh-uh, man. You're not ready, especially not for something like this. It's a pretty personal thing for Bean to let you in on, don't you get that?"

"Of course I do," he answered. "All the more reason for me to do this one without your help."

"Oh, so now you've got a couple dates in the bag, you suddenly think you're a stud? Believe me, dude, you still really need my help."

Pendergast scoffed, puffing up like a posturing rooster. "Maybe it was a mistake to accept your help in the first place, *cat*," he emphasized the last word just to see Luci cringe. "I'll bet you that I can take it from here by myself, and then where will you be? I don't even know for sure why you've been helping me in the first place."

Luci had his arms crossed, rolling his eyes in plain sight of the idiotic knight. Of course, he knew why he'd been helping Pendergast, Luci had just been taking it for granted that the dope wasn't asking questions. But if it took something like this for him to see he needed Luci - and since this put in danger Luci's plan - he thought he'd throw Pendergast a bone.

"Alright, fine. I'll sit this one out and you do what you think you should be doing."

"Thank you," he replied, tone dripping with condescension.

"And I'll be right here to welcome you back when you crash and burn."

Unlike the first time Bean shared her writing exploits – which had only attracted a handful of her closer friends and servants – the audience had doubled. News from the late night coffee tavern must have spread, because a few of the patrons were there, but when Luci noticed that more than half of them were elves or servants, he grew slightly suspicious.

Bean was nowhere to be found, but Luci found Elfo standing in front of a small closet off to the side of the chamber where the audience waited.

"Luci, there you are!" Elfo cheered a little too loudly, and then he watched Elfo turn and direct his volume towards the closet door.

"Luci's here, Bean, do you want me to tell him you're in there?"

From inside the closet, he could hear Bean slightly muffled. "Elfo, the yelling kinda defeats the purpose of the hiding."

He then saw Bean emerge from the closet just enough to gesture the two of them inside.

Luci slipped in behind Elfo and the three of them were soon standing in complete darkness. Well, Bean was crouching, but close enough.