Chapter 6

Red... Everything was red... Everything was dark and black... There was a metallic smell in the air... On the floor, a body. A lifeless body covered with blood. A blood that was unfortunately his own. This blood flowed abundantly to create a pool of this scarlet liquid. Then, the image became clearer. Lying on the ground, in this bloody lake, a familiar silver hair tinted with this garnet color. Eli woke up with a gasp. What was this ? A dream ? No, a vision of the future... His owl, Brooke Rose, came to rest on his shoulder and graze his cheek with her wing as if to reassure him, drops of sweat beading on his forehead and neck. Was what he had just seen going to happen any time soon ? If so, why, and how to prevent it ?

"What should I do..."

Three days passed since this incident between the two men. The diviner's demeanor remained unchanged, and he was as energetic and cheerful as ever, although when he was alone, his expression would sometimes darken as he thought back about his vision. On the other hand, this was not really the case with the gray-eyed boy, whenever he was alone with him in a room, he could not help but blush and look away. Eli had noticed the state his confession had put Aesop in and he felt a little guilty for it, though he had nothing to blame himself for in fact. Maybe a breath of fresh air outside would help him relax a little and stop thinking about it ? With the store to run, he hadn't had time to rest properly and that was good because it was closed for the day.

"Why not go for a walk in the park ?"

"S-sure... It's a nice day too so it's not such a bad idea..."

His awkward answer made the seer laugh. It was a light, clear laugh filled with tenderness. Aesop loved this sound every time he heard it. Eli's presence was truly comforting and he didn't feel as anxious as he did when he was in front of other people, he was the only one who calmed his mind. Maybe... if it was him, he might like having someone else by his side... So the two young men went to the local park for a walk. Indeed, it was a nice day and the sun was shining quite strongly so the frail boy with the pale skin took a hat to cover himself from the rays.

They both walked under the shade of the trees in the park, following the path of small white stones. The awkwardness that had been between them had now evaporated and they were conversing like before. Hours passed and the sky was now an orange color. It was probably time to go home, especially since the air was cooler. A strong breeze swept over Aesop's hat and dropped it on the side of the road. He left Eli for a moment to pick it up, something he shouldn't have done. Everything happened so fast. A vehicle had not seen him and crashed into him. Eli's voice was the last thing he heard before his vision was covered with a scarlet curtain...

"I wish I didn't have to see you both again under these conditions..."

The female voice belonged to none other than Emily Dyer, another survivor of the manor known as the Doctor. The young woman had been called here because of the lack of staff and because her medical and surgical skills were well known. In fact, she was the one who was currently attending to Aesop's state of health. The operation had gone smoothly but the young man had not yet opened his eyes despite his stabilized condition. She sat on the bench where the seer was and caressed his back to comfort him. He had his face in his hands, tears running down it. He had failed to save him even though he knew what was going to happen.

"It's not your fault nor anyone else's Eli, it was simply an accident..."

"W-what... If he... never wakes up?"

She didn't have time to answer him because one of her colleagues came to tell her that her patient had woken up, Aesop. Eli stood up abruptly when he heard this, ignored Emily's yells and rushed to the hospital room where the embalmer was. There he was. A bandage firmly tightened around his neck, his head, his arms, his legs... He was alive and well and looked at the diviner a little surprised, surely because of the way he barged in. He approached his bedside to take him in his arms, new tears running down his cheeks. The doctor arrived shortly after him and tried to warn him of something but was cut off by Aesop.

"Um... Sorry but, may I ask who you are...?"

Eli suddenly pulled away from his friend. It wasn't true, was it ? He couldn't... have lost his memory ? Unfortunately for him, he had. Emily asked the diviner to step aside for a moment so she could take over. She gave him her usual smile and introduced herself to Aesop, asking him what his last memory was. Apparently, the last thing he remembered was attending his uncle's funeral. So he didn't remember the manor ? All the people he had met there ? Not even his best friend, the seer with the owl, Eli ? 

The embalmer had to stay in the hospital for a few more days to do more checks to make sure everything was okay. Once discharged, Emily turned him over to the seer's care, making it clear that he was not to overexert himself and was to rest for at least two weeks. Despite all that happened, she was still the same. She added that when Aesop regained his memory, the three of them should meet to chat. They just didn't know when that would be. Amnesia was an enigmatic thing, it could disappear overnight or never. The two men thus returned to the embalmer's house, it was the only thing they could do for the moment.

"So... From what I have gathered... You are my best friend ?"