Chapter 7

A week passed since Aesop lost his memory. To try to help him recover it, Eli spent most of his time telling him stories about the manor, as these were the only memories they shared together. He didn't really specify the dangerous parts for fear that it would scare him too much. It was more like stories about the time they celebrated Christmas together or the time he put his mask on upside down one day. Eli didn't want his friend's condition to get any worse, so he forced him to stay home while he ran the store. Meanwhile, Aesop stayed in his room, watching the outside from his window.

Everything was so familiar and yet so distant. The seer seemed to be a lovely person, but he couldn't remember him, and when he occasionally saw his pained smiles, it was heart breaking. For him, it had only been a short time since his uncle Jerry had died, since... he killed him with his own hands. That feeling he had felt at that moment that ran through his entire body... He knew it was wrong and yet he couldn't get the feeling out of his mind. His body curled up on itself, trying to forget, to forget this abominable joy. Memories came back to him but they were not the ones he would have hoped to remember. 

A dark and cold room... Chemicals arranged perfectly on white shelves with glass windows to see what was inside. Aesop was forced to spend his days in this morbid room reeking of death. He watched his mentor, his uncle, inject bromide hydrate into the bodies of his clients. He could still hear that deep, sinister voice whispering to him to do the same thing, supposedly because it was the right thing to do. However, even though he didn't particularly like people, the young boy was still reluctant and as a result, he was locked in his room without being fed. He would rot there until his mentor deemed that he had reflected enough on his behavior.

His words invaded his mind. He couldn't hear anything else. He felt like he was suffocating. Sweat ran down his back and face. It was already dark outside and the diviner still hadn't returned. He needed something to take his mind off it. The frail man got up from his bed and went downstairs to the kitchen in search of a glass of water, staggering and sometimes almost bumping into the wall. After a short struggle, he finally arrived in the kitchen and opened a cupboard to take out a glass. However, his shaking body caused him to drop it, multiple pieces of glass now scattered on the floor. Eli had just returned when he heard the crash. He rushed to the source of the noise to find Aesop sitting among the mess.

"Aesop ! What happened ?! Did you hurt yourself ?!"

He rushed to his side and swept the sharp pieces away with his foot so he wouldn't get hurt. Just then, the boy's body began to sway forward, but the diviner was quick enough to catch him and keep him from falling right into the cutting fragments. His body was cold, wet and he seemed alarmed by something. He preferred not to ask questions for the moment and lifted the gray-haired man to another place, it was not difficult because his build was slender and light. He laid him on the bed in his room. Aesop said nothing and just stared into the void. Eli asked him if he needed anything but he didn't answer. 

But he couldn't leave him like that. He had to at least change his clothes because he was soaked with sweat. Unfortunately, the young man didn't seem to be in a condition to do it by himself. The seer asked him if he didn't mind if he did, Aesop nodded but remained silent. Eli left the room and returned shortly afterwards with a basin of water and a towel. He put his stuff on the bedside table and approached Aesop's body, which still hadn't moved. He didn't like the idea of undressing him with his own hands when he was so harmless, but he didn't really have a choice. 

He swallowed his saliva and began to unbutton his shirt. He helped him up so that he could wipe his back with the towel. Aesop flinched slightly at the contact of the cold water with his skin but that was the only reaction he had. After he was fully cleaned, Eli put on his nightgown. He sighed after all the effort he had just made and sat on the edge of the bed, observing the delicate body of his friend. Eli was not wearing his blindfold this time since it was late and he had gone home. Aesop raised his arm and put his hand on the cheek of the seer, meeting his glance. His gray eyes came to focus on his blue ones.

"Why... Your expression is so sad when you look at me...? I feel like... there's more to our relationship than you want to reveal... What are you hiding ?"

The next second, Eli's body was now on top of Aesop's. Until now, he had tried to control himself and not to frighten him but how could he resist when this one provoked him like that ? His hands were placed on each side of the face of the young man and his gaze was drowned in his. How long was this going to last ? How long was he going to have to endure being treated like a stranger ? It wasn't as if he could force him to remember, but he didn't know what to do anymore and was beginning to fall into despair. When would he come back...?

"Are you sure you really want to know ?"