Chapter 35: First Meeting

She missed Jijin. Like crazy. It had been four days since he'd given her a private set of rooms. Apart from his. And she'd seen him only once since. For a quarter of an hour. While he walked in the garden with her. And she felt the sunshine on her face.

The only good thing that had come from their confrontation was that he would now allow her outside whenever she felt like it. As long as she took three guards with her. Some of the guards who watched over her bedchamber. Where she slept now. Alone. And felt every minute of his absence acutely.

She was praying that her brother would not only accept her but also approve of her marriage to Jijin. That was her last remaining hope.

––

He was coming. Jin Heung's ambassador had returned the day after he'd given Eun Sook her own rooms. The man had ridden all day to deliver the good news. Sookie's older brother was coming to visit. Not the king of Goguryeo. But one of its princes. Jong Su.

Apparently, the king had commissioned his younger brother to accept King Jin Heung's invitation.

Jin Heung grimaced as he sat on his throne, awaiting the prince's arrival. Runners had already reported that he had entered the gates of the capital with his entourage. He would be standing before the king in just a few minutes. Jin Heung fervently hoped that this younger brother of Goguryeo's king would take an immense liking to his sister. Yet still be willing to part with her. When he gave her hand in marriage to the king of Silla.

––

Prince Jong Su had ridden silently into the capital, his eyes searching – as they had done all day long while he'd traveled through the kingdom of Silla – for a white-haired, indigo-eyed lass. He remained hopeful that he would find her. But after spending several hours searching miles of land for her, his heart sank as he approached the palace. Where on earth could his sister be hiding?

In some remote village, perchance. But, surely, someone somewhere had news of an albino.

He sighed as he slid from his horse and handed its reins to a servant before he turned towards a member of the royal council. The man had greeted him upon his arrival. And now Prince Jong Su was about to be ushered into the throne room to face King Jin Heung.

He wondered what kind of a king he would find him to be.

––

The two men faced each other.

"Welcome, Prince Jong Su, to Silla. I hope it meets with your approval."

The prince was already bowing to the king. He straightened and responded cheerfully, "Very much so, your majesty."

Jin Heung sat, sizing the man up.

The prince's countenance didn't give much away. Yet there was something sympathetic in his gaze.

"I was sorry to hear that the king was unable to receive my invitation. But I am overjoyed that you chose to grace our royal court with your princely presence."

Jong Su stood studying the king for a few moments. But his voice seemed devoid of mockery.

"I am, in fact, quite happy to meet you," Jin Heung continued after a moment.

That statement piqued the prince's curiosity. And one elegant eyebrow flew towards a cloud passing overhead. "You are, your grace?"

"Immensely," the king spoke with relish. "I look forward to getting to know you. And discovering what kind of a man you are."

That was an odd assertion indeed. Jong Su furrowed his brow minutely as he attempted to discern the king's true intent. But after only a few seconds, he arrived at an answer. Jin Heung must be assessing his suitability as a husband to his own sister, the princess, Sook Myeong.

Jong Su sighed. He supposed there was no way he was getting out of an arranged marriage. He'd best find the girl soon and determine if he thought she'd be an appropriate bride for him before he decided on any course of action.

He bowed to the king. "As I do you," he murmured.

"You must be fatigued from your journey. I will have one of the servants escort you to your rooms. And, if you like, you can take a turn through our gardens at the back. I find it a peaceful place to rest after a long journey. I will make sure that some refreshments are brought to your rooms also."

"Thank you for your hospitality," the prince responded immediately as he performed another bow.

"And tomorrow morning over breakfast, we can begin to discuss business. For now, I will let you rest."

Jong Su had just been dismissed.

But he found that he already liked what he had seen of the young king. Never before had a regent invited him to peruse his private gardens. The prince found that this invitation also piqued his curiosity. So he determined to head that way as soon as he'd perused his rooms.