Chapter 39: The Ultimatum

Jong Su awoke to a rap on his door. He glanced towards his window. The sun was just beginning to rise. It must be quite early yet.

"Come in," he called out.

"Your highness," his guard bowed before him after quietly shutting the door behind him.

"What is it? I know you would not disturb my slumber over nothing."

The man lifted a pained face towards his prince. He did not relish delivering this news. If only he hadn't overheard the young woman's guards talking. He heaved a deep sigh.

But he had....

––

The prince came thundering down the hallway towards the king.

"Is it true that you kept my sister in your rooms for over two weeks? Alone with you?" Jong Su faced Jin Heung.

The king swallowed. "Come with me. Let's discuss this in private."

He led the man into a room and shut the door behind them. Then he turned to face Sookie's brother before admitting, "It's true. She spent two weeks sleeping in my rooms."

"Have you touched her? You must have touched her."

"I did touch her. But not in the way you think. We shared a few passionate kisses. That is all."

Jong Su stared at the king, sizing the man up.

Jin Heung tried to explain, "I found her in the forest. Alone. She had no possessions. And no home. I brought her here. To tell me stories. I kept her with me because her voice was the only thing that would put me to sleep. I did not know that she was a princess then."

"You thought her a pauper?" the prince asked in surprise.

Jin Heung nodded. "She didn't tell me who she was. Not until a few days ago."

"Why didn't you marry her immediately?"

"I tried to. Even before I knew she was a princess. But she refused me."

"What?" Jong Su gaped at him. "She refused to marry you?"

Jin Heung nodded.

"But...why?"

"Because she felt that she would be a liability to my reign."

Her brother sighed. "Because she's an albino."

The king bobbed his head again. "Yes. My only hope is that Goguryeo will agree to partner with Silla in overcoming Baekje if she marries me. She will only agree to an alliance with me if it makes my kingdom stronger."

The prince shook his head. "My sister is a piece of work. What a woman! She really loves you."

Jin Heung's mask slipped momentarily, and his face suddenly lost its impassivity. "I guess so."

The prince brightened as understanding dawned. "And you really love her too, don't you? Even though she's an albino?"

"She's beautiful!" the king instantly defended his beloved. "And wonderful." And he'd better stop showing his cards. A king was supposed to be inscrutable. But he knew in that moment that his love for her was making him weak. Putting him at the mercy of her brother.

"I will agree," that brother suddenly spoke.

"You will?" Jin Heung exclaimed in surprise.

"Under one condition."

"What?" the king held his breath.

"That you also give me your sister's hand in marriage."

---

THANK YOU FOR READING THE VOICE!  

There are many books to come in this series!  I hope that you visit my profile page and enjoy them all.  Please let me know if you liked this one.

Read the continuation of the story in The Mercenary: The Saga of the Sooks Book #2.