Chapter 8

The Bad Men

(A/N) Hi guys! This is a longer chapter than the other ones so I hope you enjoy!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The fall foliage helps distract Riley from the current suicide mission that she's taking part in - having Eleven lead the boys to the Gate was not her idea. Not even close.

The compass is light in Riley's palm as she looks down at it again, growing impatient at the pace the group's moving. Riley wanted to take the bikes, in case of the need for a quick getaway; she was out-voted on that one.

It was hard to attend Will's funeral without feeling passive to the experience. Everyone except for Riley and the boys still believes that the kid's dead, and it hurts her because she knows that over half of those people who showed could have cared less about him when he was right there, alive and in front of them.

But she knows he's still out there somewhere. He's scared and alone and it makes Riley's gut twist in fear realizing what he's up against. It's the only reason why she's currently balancing on railroad tracks a few miles from her house.

After Mr. Clarke informed the kids about theories of alternate dimensions and space-time tears, Riley was quickly reminded of the implications surrounding the situation.

What exactly is going to happen when they find the Gate? Eleven said it's dangerous to get close, but she didn't specify what kind of danger they would encounter.

"I think we should turn back," Riley mentions, exhaling as she spins to look at the kids. Mike rolls his eyes before adjusting his backpack, "You've said that four separate times."

"And each time, I'm being serious! Listen-" Riley stops as she wanders further up than them, "We have only a couple hours of daylight left, so why don't we use them, and turn back!"

The boys only pass right by her with Dustin sending his sister a glance, "A party member is in danger and they require our help. It is our duty to help them."

Riley scoffs at his words, nearly tripping over her own feet, "No, Dustin - it's not. We should've called Hopper and we still can, mind you. If we-"

"If you say we should turn back one more time," Lucas interrupts and his voice is laced with irritation, "I swear I'm gonna come back there-"

"And do what, exactly?" Mike asks, clearly growing tired of the bickering, "She's got two feet on you!"

"Use the Wrist Rocket, obviously!" Lucas pulls his slingshot out of his coat pocket. Riley instantly shoots her hands up in self-defense, jokingly pulling Dustin in front of her much to his protest, "Alright, I yield, Jesus!"

Lucas sends Mike a toothy grin before Riley huffs, knowing she's not going to get these kids to budge. She frowns as she kicks a couple of stones away. Riley's voice whines, "Please don't shoot rocks at me."