01 : ҩѣҩѯ≬ҩᵻͼҩ

ҩѣҩѯ≬ҩᵻͼҩ

Feudal Japan, known by its isolationism or Sakoku for 214 years was established to stop the growing colonial and religious influence of Spain and Portugal in the archipelago. But long before that, the country had been in a warring state and social upheavals during the Sengoku period. Ezo, now known as Hokkaido, especially its southern parts, had become a place to settle for the Wajins, mainlanders, to avoid battles, but it also turned into a series of conflicts and revolts between them and the Ainu of the North, the original settlers of the land.

In the early1500s, the Miyamoto family, one of those who settled early in the South of Ezo, was shunned by the people and feudal lord because the head of the family, Miyamoto Saitō, refused to commit seppuku after his master died. He reasoned that he saw his master's killer from a distance, and he must avenge him before taking his own life. However, his fellow samurais and retainers did not believe him as they were surrounded by forests. His samurai status was degraded to a rōnin and they lost their lands and fief. For several decades, the main family lived quietly in the suburbs and endured and lived in shame brought by Saitō's status and were often the subjects of taunting and ridicule by neighboring villages.

A century later, the main family of the clan continued living quietly in a humble house near the port of Hakodate. Miyamoto Shōtarō, the current head, worked as a merchant trader, with the help of his two sons: Shō and Ryō. Albeit contented with their simple life, the two would always wonder why they were hated by the people.

Shō lowered his head while walking through the village on their way home. "Father, why do they show us contempt every time we pass by their houses?"

"Is it because we are living in the outskirts?" asked Ryō.

Shōtarō's eyes softened as he looked at his clueless sons. He did not want them to know the clan's history and would like to continue living discreetly. He knew the family's name would only bring nothing but pain and shame, and he was sorry that they had to inherit those. However, what he was worried about the most was their unusual chikara or energy. His forefathers knew that something was different from them and used Saitō's ronin status as a reason to live in seclusion.

"This power shall not be known outside the household," Shōtarō's mother would always tell him when he was made aware of what he could do.

He did not know when or how or from whom it had started, but he knew they were one of the descents of modification . . . of a lone line of evolution. As his father would say, kamigami no riki—they possess the power of the gods.

It was also the reason why his wife, Emiko, died. During the night of her labor with Ryō, the elder who assisted her witnessed a horrifying sight—Emiko's eyes slowly changed from brown to a hazel-like color as she gave birth to her second son.

The elder's feeble body trembled as she looked at Emiko. "B-Bakemono . . . (Monster . . .)"

Worn out, Emiko reached for her son in the arms of the elder. "M-my son . . . give me my son . . ."

Still dazed and scared by her eyes, the elder started backing away while chanting some prayers. Shōtarō just stood at the side of his wife, unsure of what to do, until the elder refused to let their newborn son go.

"Monster!" she yelled as she attempted to leave the house, but he was faster. Shōtarō forced the door close, but before he could get their son, he felt an intense pressure and killing intent from his wife.