14. E X P L A N A T I O N S

There he was, mere meters from where she stood, and he hadn't even noticed her small frame peeking out from behind one of the snow-coated birch trees. Thor was like a mountain— huge, intimidating, dangerous. The way he swung his hammer around with such ease was terrifying in an oddly beautiful way, the reverberations it caused that echoed through the forest made it sound like it was almost alive.

Milenka would've loved to get an up-close inspection of it, see if the whole 'worthy' thing was indeed true, but now was not the time for niceties. She watched him take out soldier after soldier as if he was playing bowling and, when it was clear that he wouldn't be tiring any time soon, Lenks made her move.

"Help! Help!" she cried, feigning an injury on her leg and arm. It seemed to Lenks that it would be the only way she was going to get within twenty feet of him, and she knew the Avengers would never attack a kid unprovoked.

Stumbling out from behind the tree, Milenka took barely two steps before she "collapsed" on the ground. Being the gentlemanly, honourable God that Thor was, it only took hearing her cries to make him rush to her aid.

"Are you okay? What ails you? And what are you doing here?" Thor asked a flurry of questions as he lent down.

"...Hurts." she sniffled, wiping the sleeve of her top along the bottom of her nose for greater effect.

He nodded gravely, "Do you think you can stand?"

Milenka shook her head weakly, trying to act as vulnerable as possible. Thor exhaled and, standing back to full height, spoke into his comms, "Rogers, there's a child in the field."

Lenks furrowed her brow.. child? Really?

"Is she another enhanced?" Lenks heard him respond. So Pietro is out here too? she shrugged internally, Or I guess Wanda could be out in the field as well by now. While he was speaking Milenka rummaged in her back pocket, fingers clasping around the cold bullets from earlier and turning them over in her palm.

"No, I don't thi—"

But he was cut off when Milenka stood, suddenly miraculously healed from her "injuries", and fired the bullets at his chest, putting as much force behind them as she could.

But pebbles are insignificant to a mountain. So when they barely made a dent in his armour, Thor was more amused than afraid. Lenks readied herself, watching as Thor chuckled and began swinging his hammer in circles, "You're an enhanced." he stated.

Milenka offered a smug grin, "...And I'm not a child." she corrected, before throwing him backwards via his metal armour.

His back slammed into a tree and he groaned, dusting himself down as he stood up, "A challenge, I like it."

A pinkish-white energy radiated from Milenka's hands as she threw blast after blast in Thor's direction. He was able to dodge most of them, and the trees and earth were singed black where they had been hit.

In return Thor sent his hammer at Lenks, which she just barely ducked out of the way from. She could feel the air rushing past her head, tickling the back of her neck, making wisps of her hair dance in its wake. He called it back to himself and, swinging it in circles above his head, summoned lightning from the sky. A multitude of icy blue bolts were all drawn to the weapon, and then he aimed it directly at Milenka.

She instinctively tried to duck out of the way, but wasn't able to do it in time to stop the charge from hitting her square in the chest. However, instead of knocking her down like it was supposed to, Milenka was able to absorb the energy, feeling the electricity coursing through her veins like— well, like lightning.