In Another Life | ғʀᴇᴅ ᴡ. (m)

Fred Weasley | 6th Year (HBP)

A/N: This one's for everyone who's convinced Hermione's first was Fred. Just to warn you, this one escalates fast and has graphic sexual content! Enjoy 😉 

»»———— ☽ ༓ ☾ ———-««

Fred was on his way back to his shop from the pub when he saw her. At first glance, he'd merely scoffed thinking the random witch completely barking for standing aimlessly out in this frigid weather. 

But then he caught sight of the wild curls under her hat and saw the briefest glance of her reflection on the bookshop's window. 

"Hermione?" He yelled in surprise.

He made towards her, long strides closing the distance between them. She didn't appear to have heard him at all. How long had she been standing there? Godric, she must be freezing. Circling her arm, he tugged her around. The witch in question stiffened, immediately on guard. He could see the moment recognition registered in her gaze and she relaxed ever so slightly. 

"Fred," she sighed wearily. "Sorry, I didn't see you there."

"I know you didn't," he answered curiously, looking down at her in mild concern. "How long have you been out here?"

"Not long-" Hermione waved off absentmindedly. Until she glanced at her watch, her eyes widening in surprise. "Nevermind."

"What brings you out here?" Fred yelled over the ringing whistle of the wind.

Hermione blinked at him suddenly speechless. And not for the first time today, he wondered whether the little witch was alright. She appeared dazed, and despite talking to him, she seemed worlds away.

"Come inside," he prompted her, gesturing towards his shop. 

Hermione bit her lip as she stared at the closed joke shop as though contemplating her options. Just as he was about to go about convincing her, she gave him a silent nod, following him through the empty commercial center. Hermione clenched her jacket closer against the biting wind. She didn't know what she was thinking traveling nearly an hour from her cozy family home to come to Diagon Alley of all places a few days after Christmas. Unlike the crowds that used to fill the commercial hub in the weeks surrounding Christmas, it was now practically abandoned.

If it were a normal year, she would've already been at the Burrow by now to prepare to bring in the New Year with her friends. But this past year had been tense, and Ron and she were barely on speaking terms these days. At first, she'd been so angry when he started dating Lavender. The green monster had reared its head, and she'd been shamefully jealous. But then days, weeks, and months passed them by and Ron's behavior towards her grew unbearable. The jealousy eventually turned to sadness because once again she felt like she was on the outskirts of their friend group. That sadness eventually soured to bitterness. And now, being away from Hogwarts, her tumultuous emotions over the whole ordeal had finally settled into acceptance. Honestly, she had bigger things to worry about than Ron finally realizing she was a bloody girl. And when he did, she would no longer be waiting. 

She knew she had much more to offer this world. And she'd be damned if she wasted it pining over a boy who couldn't pull himself together enough to even treat her with the respect she deserved- if not as a romantic interest than at least as his friend of six years! 

"Alright there, Hermione?" Fred asked again, bringing the pensive witch out of her thoughts. 

"Yeah," she assured with a small smile as he let them into Weasley's Wizarding Wheezes.