A Veela Awakened | ᴅʀᴀᴄᴏ ᴍ. (t)

Draco Malfoy || Post-War 

Just wanted to share some art by one of my favorite Dramione creators: upthehillart 

»»———— ☽ ༓ ☾ ———-««

"Malfoy, what in the world?" 

The normally aristocratic wizard froze with his hands still in his hair from where he'd nearly been ripping it out in frustration. He'd been pacing and mumbling to himself, clearly growing more and more panicked by the second. It might look comical had it not been Malfoy. Or perhaps that made it all the more amusing. Slowly dropping his arms, he turned to face her, unable to hide his embarrassment. 

"Granger." 

"Are you okay?" Hermione asked worriedly, taking a step forward. 

Malfoy took a noticeably abrupt step back. "Fine! Why in the world wouldn't I be?" 

Hermione bristled at his prideful tone that dared her to breach his private little bubble. He stared at her stubbornly with his arms crossed defensively across his chest. She stared at him incredulously. Was he bloody serious? 

It was the third annual ball commemorating the end of the war, and it had been a busy night. Not only had she come alone tonight, but it was also the first event since her breakup with Ron that he'd brought a date to a public event. Their split had been amicable and happened sometime during her repeated eighth year at Hogwarts. Ron had gone off to auror training alongside Harry, and their time apart had shown them they simply wanted different things. And now that the regular life-threatening and world-ending scenarios had come to an end, Ron and Hermione wanted different things from their partner than what the other could offer them. Still, it was the first time Ron had brought someone to a public event. The tall ginger wizard had grown a long way since his Lavendar days and stopped using attention childishly. He had a gorgeous brunette on his arm tonight, and she'd been charming. Hermione couldn't think of a single bad thing to say, and neither could Harry or Ginny. She was beautiful, affectionate, and even intelligent enough to keep up with Hermione in conversation. 

It's not that she was jealous- not at all. She was delighted that Ron had found someone he both wanted and deserved, especially since she wasn't an airhead. But the night was busy, and Hermione slipped out two hours into the ball to get some air. 

When she first noticed Malfoy, she thought she was seeing things. She hadn't seen much of him after the war. He finished his schooling through correspondence as Draco and his mother were left to pick up the pieces of their family after the war. Everyone was surprised when he reemerged from the depths of Malfoy Manor nearly a year later. It was around the same time Harry quit being an auror. He'd realized very quickly that he was done fighting Dark Wizards, and he couldn't let it consume the rest of his life like it'd consumed his childhood. With no shortage of offers, he decided to follow his childhood passions for quidditch. He said it was the only other thing he was good at, but Hermione knew he felt closer to his dad whenever he played. Ron, to everyone's contrite surprise, stayed at the ministry and received a promotion. He might've never been able to out-duel Harry, which was partially why everyone labeled him the sidekick. But in an organized team like the aurors, his strategy skills shone through.  He wouldn't let anyone hear the end of it when Malfoy first joined the aurors as a new trainee. No matter how much Ron matured, some childhood grudges were hard to leave behind.