Prologue

One Day Before the Snap

One of my greatest pleasures in life was staying in my pajamas all day, Sunday. I was never one to go to brunch with the girls on a Sunday afternoon, in fact I never really had a group of girls I was friends with. My mom died when I was twelve so for most of my life it was just my dad and I. We made a very early tradition early on that Sundays were for pajamas and carry out.

When I was in college I continued that tradition from my dorm and my dad in our family home. When I was offered a teaching job in the city and moved into my apartment I continued the tradition with my dad coming to visit most weekends and when I married Theo and we moved into our brownstone we kept it going. I had always planned for Sundays to be lazy, just like my dad and I always did. Although, once my father started to get older his visits to our home on Sundays became less frequent.

This weekend was different though. Tomorrow morning, Theo was going to drive to my old house, pick up my dad and the three of us were going to spend our lazy Sunday together. It was supposed to be a beautiful spring day and I was excited to show my father the vegetable garden I had been planting in the backyard. I was overjoyed at the offer from Theo to pick up my father. I hadn't been driving much since I sold my car to help with the down payment for our house. We hadn't lived in the brownstone for long but it was finally becoming ours.

Theo was a great man. He was kind and loving and the perfect person for me. I was so lucky to be married to him. Theo and I met in college and started dating shortly after. He was my first and only boyfriend. Once I moved to the city he followed and we were engaged a year after that. We were young but I had never loved anyone besides Theo. It felt right to be together. Of course our marriage wasn't perfect. We had arguments and disagreements but after 5 years of being together, I was sure we could make anything work. Anything.

I watched Theo stand in the kitchen looking over the recipe he insisted on making for dinner that night.

"You don't have to cook anything tonight, we can always order in." I said, walking over to him and rubbing his back.

"I want to! I've been thinking about this pasta all week!" I laughed and poured more wine into my glass. As I took a sip Theo stood up straight and looked at me.

"Oh, Anna. I meant to talk with you earlier but, I'm not sure if I'll be able to get your dad tomorrow." I put my glass down and my jaw dropped.

"What? Why?" Theo poured some more wine into his glass and shrugged.

"I'm sorry, Anna. With all this Avengers stuff they're restricting access to the city. I think if I leave to get him, I won't be able to get back." My eyebrow furrowed.

"What stuff? Is something happening? Should my father come stay with us here?" Theo shook his head.

"I'm not sure that it's anything serious. I know there were fights between the Black Order and some Avengers downtown yesterday. But, I haven't heard anything since. We should be okay." Theo could sense my panicking. The thing I hated most about the city were the attacks. As frequent as they seemed they didn't happen as often as I felt. And the Avengers were very protective. I was even saved by them a couple times. Theo sighed and hugged me. "We're going to be okay. You know this stuff happens all the time and gets settled without us even hearing about it." I nodded and hugged him back. He kissed my head and went back to the recipe on the counter. Something in my stomach that night felt off. I always attributed it to Theo's dinner but I think I felt it coming. I think I knew what was to happen all along.