Chapter Two

Two Years After the Snap

"Anyone else want to share?" Steve's voice boomed through the empty cafeteria. I looked around the walls only half listening as a man raised his hand to tell his story. The discomfort I was feeling was too much compared to the comfort this support group was supposed to give. We sat in the same cafeteria to the school I used to teach in. I still hadn't gone back to work but instead took up a new hobby. I did miss work but it wasn't the job as much as the kids. The kids the disappeared.

I was awaken from my daze to the sound of sympathetic claps. I joined and looked back at the group.

"Thank you for sharing, Arthur." Steve looked to an old man sitting to my right. He nodded at Steve and placed his folded hands in his lap. Steve looked around the circle with his gaze landing on me. "Any of our new members wanting to share today?" I stared back at him and gently shook my head. Theo would have been so excited to hear I was sitting so close and talking to Captain America. The famous Steve Rogers was running our support group but no one seemed to care. The Avengers weren't active anymore. He was just another one of us. Grieving the loss of so many loved ones. Steve smiled lightly and nodded.

"Okay, thanks everyone. We'll meet back here next week. Same time." Everyone stood up, some gathered as I grabbed my purse off the floor.

"Anna, right?" I heard the booming voice again. Startled I looked up at the giant figure standing next to me. He was so tall and muscular. I had seen Captain America on TV so many times I never imagined what it would be like to see him in person.

"Yes." I replied. He stuck his hand out for me to shake. I slowly put my hand in his, raising my eyebrows at the difference in size. He was absolutely superhuman.

"It's really nice to meet you." His smile was charming. But there was sadness in his eyes. The same sadness that was in all of us. "I'm glad you're here." I nodded and placed my hand back at my side.

"Thank you. I...thought this might do me some good." Steve half smiled and nodded.

"The ones who are left have to take care of each other."

"Yeah... I suppose so." A young blonde woman with too much makeup on tapped Steve on the shoulder.

"Um, sorry, Captain America?" Steve blinked slowly and turned to her with a smile.

"Candace, I told you please call me Steve." Candace giggled and nodded.

"Of course, Steve. Sorry." Steve shook his head and sighed. Before he could reply Candace placed her hand on his arm. "I was having a small dinner gathering tonight if you're interested." Steve smiled and shook his head.

"Can I speak to you in a moment, Candace?" She removed her hand from his arm as he motioned toward me.

"Oh yes, sorry." Steve turned away from her and looked at me. He gave me a sympathetic smile as if to say sorry.

"It's okay. I was about to head out." I shrugged and turned toward the door.

"Wait, I just want you to know," Steve grabbed the small notepad in his back pocket. "If you ever need someone to talk to..." He scribbled on the paper and ripped it off, handing it to me. "You can always call. I don't sleep much these days." He shyly chuckled as I grabbed the paper. Looking into his eyes, I formed a smile. His blue eyes, although sad, sparkled in the dull cafeteria lighting. And his hair fell onto his face almost as if it was placed there. He smiled and nodded.

"Thank you. I appreciate that." I placed the paper in my purse and looked up at him. "Goodbye, Steve." He nodded as I turned toward the door. I felt his gaze on me until I walked out the door.