14: Immortality

I'm back! Sorry for the long wait; I rather don't tell you for how many weeks I tried already to update and then remembered, that I wanted to look this part over and this other one and then didn't find the time...

Anyway, please enjoy!

Normal people needed probably an hour or two to calm down from a foul mood, but Sonic managed it in less than five minutes – by running twice around the city at full speed.

Reaching the foyer of the Shelter he ran to afterwards, he realized upon letting Silver down, that he should have probably stopped himself a little.

The poor silver furred uke looked awfully dizzy and almost smacked into the receptionist's desk, that was manned by a middle aged, male mobian badger with mint green fur, who watched them worriedly, the second he was on his feet.

"You okay?," Sonic asked, while holding Silver's arm to stop him from swaying more and hurting himself.

"Uh...maybe. ...Is the world supposed to go in circles?," he asked dazedly. Sonic grimaced. "Not really. Sorry, I forgot for a minute there, that you aren't used to my speed.," he apologized sheepishly. In fact, he had forgotten Silver altogether. He had simply been too light to hinder his running and his still vivid anger at Shadow had let him ignore everything for a few minutes, before he had reigned himself in again.

Silver just whined, but gradually stopped swaying. "Y-you don't hate me, do you?," he asked meekly and Sonic felt a metaphorical fist hit his stomach hard upon realizing, that Silver assumed the speedy detour had been a punishment for him. "Of course not! What makes you even think that!?," the hero asked in astonishment.

Silver's ears pressed to his skull. "B-because I saw everything, that happened to Conner and didn't tell you. Maybe...you could have stopped it.," he mumbled.

He wasn't aware of it, at least not consciously, but his instincts knew, that Conner was part of the hero's colony, just like him and as he had the second highest rank, the Gamma's safety had been his job, too.

"Silver, you had absolutely NO way of knowing, that this would happen. It could have been a nightmare. Chaos, it looked like a nightmare! I'm not blaming you and I could never hate you, okay?," Sonic soothed and the younger male, feeling the sincerity in his words, nodded.

When a light lit up the foyer, Silver gasped and quickly hid behind Sonic, which wasn't very effective, as his head quills poked out from behind the hero, giving his head a very weird, silvery shine-effect.

Letting him be, Sonic turned to Mephiles and Kylie, who just appeared in front of him. The dark seme saw his mate, of course he did, but Silver couldn't see his heartbroken face as hidden as he was. With a small sigh, the seme disappeared again.

"I-is he gone?," Silver asked meekly. "Yeah, he went to train with the semes.," Kylie replied calmly. "Oh...g-good, I guess.," Silver mumbled and came out of his hiding spot, looking sheepish. "I...er... need to go there...," the silver furred hedgehog quickly said, apparently wanting to get away, and ran down a hallway.

"...Okay. Come on, we better not waste any more time.," Kylie told the hero and marched down another corridor, Sonic on her heels.

The hero's sensitive hearing picked up on the crying of three individuals first and he rushed past Kylie in a room to his left, where Forest sat on an examination table, his babies clutched in his arms and all three crying loudly.

"Forest!," he called over the heartbreaking sounds and quickly ran over, jumped on the table and enveloped all three in a tight hug. Forest willingly turned into the embrace, crying into his shoulder.