Three

~Stella~

I love where I work.

A cute little book store downtown that has a coffee counter and outdoor seating. I absolutely adore it. And Mrs. Gaines is the sweetest woman ever.

She opened The Nook forty-nine years ago. The fifty-year anniversary is coming up and I've been helping Mrs. Gaines plan a party for the past couple of months. Which is amazing because it helps go into my credits for my business class.

I'm majoring in Creative Writing and getting a minor in Business. My interest is more set in writing, preferably a screenwriter but I've always had an interest in business. This is my fallback plan.

But this party is my child. All my hard work has gone into making Mrs. Gaines's dreams come alive.

Two months have passed since the Hudson debacle and for the most part, I've forgotten about it and have thrown myself into planning the party.

I'm currently shoveling soup into my mouth while looking at vendors. Cake testing is tomorrow. Besides the few ground rules I was given to follow and my price range I have free reign over everything. Elena and Frankie are coming to taste test cakes with me tomorrow.

I think I'm more excited than they are but I need second and third opinions or else I'd end up getting a carrot cake. Carrot cake sounds amazing. I haven't had it since I was little but I really really want a carrot cake.

This is coming from the person who didn't even know there were real carrots in carrot cake until recently. I have no idea what I thought was in them but for sure not real carrots. But I really want some.

Mrs. Gaines said she wanted something, French. So I've been looking at some french bistros that cater and my soup is looking really sad at the moment. But it's delicious regardless.

So far things have been slow today since it's mid-afternoon and most people are at work or school. It'll start to pick up around two though so for the time being soup and bistros have all my attention.

Damien -he works the coffee counter- leans on the checkout counter. "What's looking good today?"

"Everything looks good but it's just a matter of what would everyone else want." Looking up from the screen I say, "I'm thinking about Normaines; they do cater orders for twenty-five or fifty. I was thinking I do one twenty-five person order and a fifty person order."

He nods, "How many RSVPs are there?"

I swallow my soup, "Sixty five."

"That sounds good then. And you're testing cake tomorrow?"

"I am, are you sure you don't want to come?"

He smiles, "I'm positive. Are you coming in after cakes or going home."

Putting the lid on the empty container of soup I walk over to the trash, "I'm coming in for two hours. I'll order everything tomorrow, food, cake, flowers, rent the tables and chairs. And the venue called today saying that my deposit went through and so far everything is in order."

Damien runs his hands through his hair, "Are you bringing anyone?"

I shake my head. "Probably not. Elena and Frankie have to work."

He seems happy about that, "Do you want me to pick you up and we could go together as friends."

Sitting back on my stool I nod, "Yeah sure. I just have to find a dress."

Then I remember the most important thing, "If you don't wear full pants then I'm not letting you in. This is happening in December. I'm wearing a long dress so you'll have to wear long pants. I'm only saying this because I don't trust you. I've seen what you wear in December."