Attack on the Fort

March 4, 1861

President Lincoln was a breath of fresh air compared to the inaction of President Buchanan. He understood that they had to take action against the secessionist traitors, but he also understood that reconciliation and peaceful actions were the best at making sure this situation didn't get out of control.

He also tried to explain to the South that he was not interested in taking their slaves away, but knowing America's children, they were most likely ignoring him in favor of hearing the things they wanted to hear and taking an attack on the expansion of slavery as an attack on them.

It was a habit they had yet to grow out of.

Until then James was stuck trying to ensure that the remaining Southern states weren't interpreting laws or policies that were made to benefit the whole nation as a personal attack. It was harder than it looked, especially since the North could be just as bad.

"You look worried." James heard President Lincoln say from behind him.

"What gave that away? The look on my face or the fact that my nation is falling apart?" James asked, trying his best to imitate America's pained anger. While James was just as upset, America had a far greater emotional state in the whole situation.

"They'll come back. I'll make sure of it. I promise you, United States of America, that I will do everything in my power to keep you in one piece." President Lincoln said. James smiled.

"Thank you, Mr. President. That's a relief to hear," he said.

"What do you think are the reasons behind why your children supported this plot?" President Lincoln asked. James sighed.

"They've convinced themselves they are victims because of new anti-slavery sentiments. That in some weird way, this is taking away their rights, like I'm supposed to cater to their needs. Slavery isn't needed in the new territories, and most of them voted against it. After all they did to Kansas, do they really think they are innocent?" James said, thinking back to all the times he held Kansas and promised her that the bloodshed would end, that her people would stop dying soon.

They were supposed to be a democracy. The South didn't need to try and sway the vote. If they had just let Kansas and Nebraska vote in peace, if both sides had just left them alone, that could have all been avoided.

James exhaled a shaky breath. Now wasn't the time to ponder on that.

"Do you know of anything that could change their minds? If we are able to do that, maybe they can convince their politicians to change their minds as well." President Lincoln asked. James shook his head.

"No, I don't think words alone will change their minds. My family is stubborn, and for better and for worse, we are a family of action-takers. And I fear I didn't set a good example in my own war against my father. Although, I would like to think I was more hesitant in action then they are. It would almost be amusing how the states least eager for independence then are the most eager for independence now if it wasn't giving me such a headache, among other pains." James said, offhandedly mentioning the problems that the seceding states were causing to their body. President Lincoln looked concerned at that.

"What do you mean, America?" He asked. James bit his lip, thinking of how he could describe that feeling in a way that would make sense to those without a country body.

"This will sound weird in human terms, but I am made up of the states, and it might not look this way, but I can feel them trying to leave, and with the creation of that fake nation, the empty place where they should be grows larger. It makes me feel...different. Like a copy of the original." James said, drawing from the pain in the body and the little thing America had confessed to him before. President Lincoln gave him a small smile.