Chapter 7 - July 20, 1997

Chapter 7
3rd POV
July 20, 1997

"Hey Hedwig, feel like taking some letters for me?"

Hedwig clicked her beak and ruffled her feathers.

Azalea grinned. "You're the best, girl. Take these to the twins first. If they agree to the meeting, take the other letters of Luna and Neville, okay?"

She bobbed her head and took off flying through the Aspelled window. Azalea turned her attention back to the plans for Hogwarts.

"That is not an ordinary owl." Tom started coming up behind her and settling in the chair beside her.

"Hmmm," Azalea looked up at him. "Oh, Hedwig. She's always understood me i didn;t know it was weird until other students looked at us weird."

"Nagini understands me the same way even when I don't speak in parseltongue. I would guess that your owl is actually familiar. You should do the ritual and activate the bond between the two."

"A familiar? I thought very few people found one."

"That's because most people are too average to attract one." Tom said snootily.

Azalea laughed softly and returned to her document. "If you think I should do the ritual, I will as long as Hedwig doesn't object."

"See, that's what makes everyone look at you odd. No one else would care what the owl thought."

Azalea glanced up at him. "She was the first magical creature I encountered. The first night I had her I stayed up all night talking to her. I told her all about the Dursleys and my life up to that point. She felt more like a confident than a messenger  from the beginning."

Tom started then averted his gaze. "You are definitely doing the ritual... barring her objections." He added the last after seeing the stubborn jut of his wife's chin.

"I don't want you going tomorrow without a guard." He raised his hand when she fluffed up indignantly. "I don't trust Dumbledore or the order. I'm trying to retire Voldemort. I don't want to burn Britain to the ground to get you back from him."

Azalea stared at him. "You'd do that?"

Tom met her stunned gaze. "Yes. And not because of the contract. I find myself actually liking you."

Azalea rose from her seat and leaned over to kiss him. "Then I will be gracious about guards. As long as it is not the Lestranges. Neville Longbottom is going to be there."

Tom looked uneasy. "I did not send them to the Longbottoms." He said quietly. "I have no idea how to make it right."

Azalea sighed. "I'm not sure you can short of giving them up and I know they are too valuable to you. Beside, you gave up Pettigrew. Give up any more followers and you'll lose their trust in you."

Tom nodded. "I know. I feel... regret for them."

Azalea reached outadn linked her fingers with his in silent com[assion as she continued to work out new classes and rules.

The wards chimed indicating an arrival. "Severus," Tom informed her. "Most likely here to start your lessons."

"Lessons? When did he agree to lessons?"