CHAPTER 1

The light from the open-window fueled my energy. I smiled in contentment. The living room looked more vibrant as I leaned my back against the couch. A perfect place to start my escapade.

My hand held the book that caught my interest the last time I visited the Library Of Evergreen with awe and reverence. Tracing the edges of its golden spine, my mind already visualized another epic adventure it would bring. The glossy cover and the scent of the pages tempted me to abandon the world right now. I was on the verge of succumbing to its irresistible promises when my father dispersed the moment by clearing his throat.

He stood in front of me.

“Lor, I need to talk to you right now.” He sat on the opposite side of the couch, maximizing the distance between us.

The urgency and panic in his voice betrayed his neutral expression. I pursed my lips, battling the lure of escape the book offered freely. He glanced at my ticket of escape as if it was a plague I would inflict on the world. My father adored books as much as I do, but he always disliked my huge fascination in the forbidden corner of the library. I knew he wanted to restrict me from going there if he still held the authority. However, when I reached eighteen, I was free to read whatever I wanted, no matter how unacceptable my choices of books were in the eyes of my father.

“What is it, Dad?” I sighed.

“Why do you always love dystopian novels with tyrant antagonists? In that book, the protagonist died.”

I bit my lips, trying so hard to stop my mouth from uttering disrespectful rebuttal. My father knew I hated spoilers as much as I hated being told what to read.

“I’m sure, Dad, you’re not here to discuss my poor choice of books.” I put the book beside me.

I wanted to sound serious, but the sarcasm in my voice prevailed.

He looked at me with obvious disappointment. Gone was the moment that I felt our familial connection. It was a distant memory from my childhood. On some days I felt alone. I have this wistful thinking of traveling back just to redeem my father’s fading love. But most of the time, I wore my mask of ‘I-don’t-give-a-fuck’ look because it was easier.

He massaged his forehead while looking at me. I took a deep breath.

No matter how I tried to act tough, I still felt the ache of being abandoned every time I saw how our differences made the gap in our relationship stretched farther and wider. I kept on telling myself it didn’t matter, but the thought of completely losing the only family member I have, even when he was sitting right next to me, was a painful punch in the gut.

Once upon a time, I had a complete family. Everyone made me feel like I’m a princess who would have her prince charming, and as the clichés go on, would have a perfect happy ending.

If only life would be that easy. But no one had ever expected the chaos I would bring, not even the self-proclaimed embodiment of all protagonists. They were wrong when they predicted my future. I was not the heroine in whatever story they would fabricate. In fact, I was the freaking villain in my father’s life who caused him significant loss. Even if I followed my father’s principles with blind eyes, I could never atone for the sins I’d committed.

“The Council of Evergreen will hold a meeting tomorrow evening in the library, and they required all Evergreens to join,” he informed.

That triggered my interest. As far as I knew, the council only held meetings if there were threats in our bloodlines, and they didn’t actually require all Evergreens to join. I was not as devoted as my other relatives, but I was still worried about our safety. And with this summons, I already knew it meant more devastation and danger.