1: What Happened to Jamie

What Happened To Jamie
I open my eyes to my dimly lit master bedroom and I feel so tired and drowsy. I just want to close my eyes and roll over on my purple wool blanket and return to my beauty rest. I lay there staring at my ceiling instead, contemplating if I really need to go to work today. I decide I do, I let out a heavy, loud sigh and reluctantly sit up then turn over to put my cold feet into my black, comfy slippers with a silk robe to match. As soon as I started walking to my bathroom, I felt nauseous. I speed up the pace as I drop to my knees and puke all of last night's lasagna. I am now having doubts about this staying a nice and calm Sunday. As I clean myself up and brush my teeth, I know I have to get ready for the day. I walk over to my home office and look on my website, Lana Lashes, to check and see if I had to do any extra buying, and of course I do. My makeup line is trending and for the last couple of months I have been selling out in minutes. It takes more time away from my day than I am used too but if it means maintaining this elite lifestyle that I have come accustomed to, then so be it. I look at the ticking clock on the wall and realize that I should have left already, it is 8:05 am. I grab my Gucci purse and just as I am about to leave, my phone rings. I look at my phone irritated that my day is already becoming so hectic but then I see that it is my mother-in-law Valerie is calling, which is strange because she never calls me. I reluctantly answer my phone.
"Hello." I said, again staring at my ticking clock on the wall, reminding me that I am late. It is probably a sign that I should not have answered this woman's phone call.
"Lana, is Jamie home!"
"Valerie, he slept over at your house, remember so why would he be home?" I said irritated that she was wasting my time, while I adjusted my white blouse in the hallway mirror, on my way out the door.
"Okay Lana, obviously he is not here, that's why I'm calling you, I'm worried!"
"Yes, I know you also called worried last week because he missed your weekly phone call, you stress out too much, he is a grown man, if he is not here or there he probably already went to his organization, he tends to leave the house way earlier than I do."
"You're not listening, he never got here last night but I assumed he decided to just come today but he hasn't and he didn't call, that's not like him and you know it."
"Wait, what he didn't show up last night."
"Exactly, that is why I called the police already and I am on my way over!"
"You called the police before asking if he was here first, really?"
"Lana, this is no time for your judgeyness, I just needed a confirmation he wasn't home and now that I know for certain, I am going to let the lead detective on this case know."
"Detective? Case?" I said with a light sigh of disbelief,.I guess it didn't hit me how serious this situation really was until this precise moment. I mean there is a detective on the case for god's sake.
"Okay, I'll call Jamie, see if he answers."
"Good idea Lana that thought never occurred to me...I am on my way."
I can't believe that she called the police first, what kind of overly obsessive mother does that, I thought to myself while calling Jamie. No answer. I continued calling but it seems that all of my efforts are no use. I call into my main office and let them know my situation and that I am not to be bothered for the rest of the day. Its has been about 15 minutes since the alarming phone call and I look out my window and see Valerie drive through the front gate.
She opens the door without knocking and informs me that I should be receiving a call from some detective. Speak of the devil, I get an unknown call, and the detective asks me a few questions on the phone and insists on rushing over. Valerie is pouring the two officers cups of coffee, while sitting on the kitchen stools, mapping out all of Jamie's favorite spots here in San Diego.
While I am just sitting in my living room staring at my brown wall, thinking of where he could be. Nothing else matters but him, he's my whole life. Jamie was kind, sweet, and down to earth. He was so loving it felt a little too unreal, it always felt like I was waiting for the other shoe to drop, and it never did, well until now. Sometimes I feel like the only flaw about him was that he was naive enough to marry someone like me. I can be so spoiled, and self absorbed, but not Jamie, he donates so much of his money and time to the less fortunate. I donate sizable funds to all his favorite charities, but really that is all him, he makes me a better person. His mother loves everyone but for some reason I know she doesn't like me. Jamie told me I was crazy, that I was reading into things but I always knew. She kept pictures of Jamie and his ex-girlfriend Nora, the daughter she never had. Sometimes, Valerie still calls me Nora, then corrects herself and "sincerely apologizes" but it has been three incredible years of marriage and still no bonding between her and I. Well and now that he's gone, I see the way she looks at me with accusation in her eyes, the way she speaks with me about his abrupt disappearance. I feel like she should be in tears every second, I know I am but she seems cold, disattached, kind of like she is putting all her emotions aside to find out some truth, she is acting like some detective. Valerie never thought I was good enough for her son and I know it, but whatever I have more important things to obsess over. My husband of three years has just vanished.I have only had a couple hours to process this and I don't know where he would have gone without telling me or anyone.