Before the march Part 3

Helena

So the city is in high gear for the siege and everything "is more a reck than the last siege" Ana said

"I think my uncle is handling things better than his Predecessor Ana," I said. But I know where she is coming from. In the last Siege of Constantinople over 7 years ago John IX had made sure the city was stocked up on plenty of food, but there were little ammunitions. So it was just a complete waiting game.

"I feel like what i am doing with the church is not enough" i said

" My lady, how many Noble-born women are going to the churches to learn how to heal the sick and wounded. I feel like you are doing fine." Ana said. To be fair most of the noblewomen and the rest of the noble families had already been evacuated, but it's the part of the Imperial family to stay here for our people. Plus lady Alexandra Braos is still here.

"What about lady Alexandra" i asked

"I feel bad for lady Alexandra to be honest, her father's financial problems have only gotten worse. I only think the reason she stays in the city is because they can't afford to send her anywhere else" Ana said

"True, the only thing holding them up right now is the fact that her father is on the council" i said.

"Are you talking about lady Alexandria because you want her to come with us to the church and learn" Ana asked.

" Something like that, I just don't want the few remaining citizens of our city to think all the Nobles have abandoned them in their time of need."i said

All of a sudden a servant rushes in to the room.

" My lady, i'm so sorry for the intrusion, but the barbarians have sent an Ultimatum." she said

"Had it been read out yet" i asked

"No my lady. The council is gathering to listen to it all together." she said. My uncle has almost certainly read it already, he and the Grand Duke.

"Will the rest of the court be able to listen in." i asked

"I believe the court will be privy to the council decisions after the meeting." she said in a waverly voice. I feel bad for the girl she probably scared for her life in the city. She also does not want to offend any spy that might be lurking around the corner. Not to mention she might be a spy herself.

"Let's wait next to the privy chambers, i want to hear the decision."  

Mehmed

"Your highness" Zaganos pasha said.

"Yes Zaganos Pasha" I said. I hope he has the new I have been waiting for. We are ready to march on Constantinople today. we just have to wait to hear what the byzantines have to say to our ultimatum.

It is by the prophet's words that we, before every battle, have to give our opponents the chance to surrender.

I feel that the terms we gave the Byzantine emperor were fair, but I knew his arrogance. He would never take it anyways. He would keep up his Foolish Pride and condemn his entire city to destruction.

"The emperor has denied your terms. With alhall behind us we can begin the march in two days." Zaganos said.

"And then, we will be outside the wall in 9 days," I said with a smile.

"Oh the emperor, he condemned his whole empire, for what?" i asked

" Forgive me Sultan, but there's not much Empire left for the Byzantines to lose. Plus the Romans have proven their weakness. Time for a new dynasty." Zagnos said.

"I think you are right, Zagnos Pasha." i said