Chapter 4

Marinette's POV

Another normal day passed at school and just like the 2 prior nights Chat Noir came tapping at my trapdoor that night. I walked over to let him in, but what I got when he hopped through the trapdoor wasn't what I had expected. His ears were flat to his head, his goofy grin nowhere to be seen and even his tail seemed to droop. I've never really seen Chat this... sad. Even whenever I rejected him as Ladybug he would always stay confident, though I know he doesn't really love Ladybug. But something had obviously happened to my poor alley cat.

"Hey Mari." He said, almost trying to push a smile out.

"Oh kitten what's wrong," I asked immediately, pulling him over to my chaise, sitting him down, and then sitting right next to him. I placed my hand on his back rubbing small circles as I waited for an answer. All I got in response though were small whimpers eventually leading to tears. I pulled him tight against me, his head falling onto my shoulder and nestling itself into the crook of my neck.

"Shhh kitty it's ok. Everything is going to be alright. I'm here for you." I whispered soothingly into his ear over and over.

His sobs slowly became smaller until they stopped altogether and I was left holding this broken kitten.

Without warning his head lifted and his red puffy eyes met mine. "They don't care about me. They never have. They never will. All I'm good for is business. I'm just a prop, without feelings and running out of use." And with that, his head fell back to my shoulder.

Without thinking I leaned back gently grabbing both sides of his head and putting it right in front of mine. Locking our eyes.

"You are so much more than a prop." I watched another tear roll down his eyes. "You have saved our city countless times. You constantly sacrifice yourself for Ladybug. And don't tell me she could do it without you, because she couldn't. You needed Cat and you are important.

"Nobody actually cares about me though." He said shaking his head with a small, sad, smile. "Sure they are happy I protect the city and in my normal life maybe they are happy I do their bidding, but they don't care about me. I don't matter."

"Maybe you're right." I said making chats ears somehow droop lower "Maybe they don't care. But I do. And I always will. You Matter to me."

And every word was the truth. Sure I don't love him. Not in the way I love Adrien, but he still means the world to me. It's like he's a bee and I'm a flower. Neither one can exist without the other. The bee needs to flower to collect pollen and nectar, and without knowing it that bee pollinates the flower. Even if I'm not in love with Chat and he Isn't in love with me, we still need and depend on each other.

His ears perked up, even if only a tiny bit. And though I could still see the hurt there was a small glimmer in his eyes. He put his hands on top of mine, which were still holding his face, and smiled. A true, real smile. "You matter to me too, princess." He sat up a little more and wiped the stray tears from his face. "You mean a lot to me Mari, and I'm sorry you had to see me like this."

"I'm always here for you kitty, I always will be, and I hope you know that."

Chat stood up slowly and looked back at me with a small smile, "I should get going purrincess, I don't want someone noticing I'm gone." and with that, he left.

Adrien's POV 10 minutes before he found himself on Marinette's roof. 

It was after school and just getting dark out when Natalie knocked at my door. It was lucky that Plagg took so long to eat his cheese, because I was about to leave to see my princess. Plagg zipped into my shirt and I called out for Natalie to come in. She opened the door, not taking her eyes off her clipboard, and said "Your Father wishes to see you in his study." and with that, she was already leaving.

"Well, what is it Natalie? Why does he want to talk to me." but she didn't respond, so we walked the rest of the way in uncomfortable silence. We got there and she opened the door for me, and as soon as I walked inside she closed the door and I could hear her shoes clicking as she scurried away, down the hallway.

"You wished to see me Father." I said making sure I stood extra straight and trying to make eye contact with the man who was just studying his touch screen.

"Yes." he responded, finally looking up. "Your work recently has not been your best. Your smiles seem fake and your body stiff. You need to try harder. You need to be better. " and with that, he went back to staring at whatever was on his screen.

"Yes father." I said, "it's just hard when there are so many other things I'm thinking about and-" He cut me off before I was even done speaking.

"Maybe If I pulled you back out of school you would be able to concentrate."

"No father please, I love school and the friends I've made there." I practically begged.

"Well then, I suggest you don't keep disappointing me and this company. That will be all" he said, sounding so cold and distant, that if you heard the conversation from the outside you would assume he was talking to an acquaintance. Not his only son. I turned and left back to my room and immediately transformed into my alter ego. I obviously wasn't wanted here. But I didn't know where to go. Then it hit me. To Marinette. The sweetest, kindest girl I knew. Maybe I wasn't ok, but being near her would at least make this a bit better. So with her kind face in mind, I ran off towards the bakery. 

Time skip to when he was leaving the bakery

I can't believe I just did that. One of the few people who thinks good of me and I just absolutely collapsed on her. She probably thinks so little of me now and is just saying this so I won't be upset. But a part of me hopes she means it. Because even though I don't love her like I love ladybug, she is starting to mean a lot to me. Then I saw her coming up behind me on the balcony where I was still standing. I was about to jump off when I felt a tug at my tail and turned to see her holding it. She dropped it and took a step closer to me and grabbed a hold of one of my hands, holding it in hers. I stepped even closer and used my other hand to tuck a piece of wild hair behind her ear, keeping my hand on her face even after the hair was set. I gazed into her ocean blue eyes and felt lost in the sea and I could see her staring right back into mine.

"You matter to me." She reiterated again from earlier and this time I without a doubt believed this stunningly beautiful girl.

"You matter to me too." And as I finished I planned to step back and leap away but my feet stayed planted. I wanted to stay here, lost in her eyes forever, and then suddenly her face was moving even closer towards mine. My brain completely blanked as her soft warm lips pressed against my cheek for a second. I stood there smiling like an idiot.

"Go home silly kitty." She said with a giggle and then she was hopping back into her room. 

An: soooo yea, I hope this chapter was ok haha, I'm still pretty new to writing stories. Let me know what you thought! don't be a silent reader haha! 

1300 words