Chpt. 1

Snow and Blood
chpt. 1

|Third Person|

Her (e/c) eyes flew open, her breath quickening as she took a few moments to sync her mind up with her current situation. She felt freezing. She was laying in the fresh winter snow, beads of wet grass flattened underneath her. She wanted to push herself away from the uncomfortably wet surface, but she couldn't. Her body felt too weak to even move. Her bare arms and legs were subject to the winter frost, the stained white dress she wore doing little to cover her body, but she appreciated what little warmth it offered.

"I think she's over here," She heard faint voices in the distant converse. "We must hurry then!" Shouted another voice, clearly more determined than the first. She slowly blinked, her body going numb due to the cold. She could feel herself drift away from consciousness as two figures came into view. She barely even registered the figure on her right calling out to her as she, excuse my pun, knocked out cold against the dirt and frigid snow. Her breathing slowed once more, and she found herself in a peaceful limbo.

When she awoke again, everything was different. She was on a much more comfortable surface. Something very soft. Her body was covered by warmth, and she no longer felt panicked. Her body had also gained time to heal from whatever ailment it suffered from before, enabling her arms to push herself off the fluffy surface. She realized she was laying on a bed. A fluffy white bed with white and blue pillows, and a baby blue blanket. She panted lightly, her heart beating faster as she noticed someone sitting close to a fireplace not too far from the bed. They tended to the fire, making sure it's warm glow was bright and lively. She looked at them with scared eyes-- or . . . eye? She hadn't noticed before, but half of her vision was covered by something she couldn't feel.

The person tending to the fire stood up, dusting off their clothing. They then turned around, revealing a pair of friendly chocolate brown eyes. She froze, her fearful gaze intensifying as the two made eye contact.

"Oh, you're awake," Said the male, smiling lightly. "I was worried you'd fallen into a coma. We hadn't known how long you were out there in the cold." The girl merely stared, not saying a single word as the man gently spoke to her. "What's your name?" He asked, taking a step closer. She made a noise of slight panic, pushing her back up against the pile of pillows behind her. He stopped, his smile wavering. "You don't have to be scared. I won't hurt you," He told her, his smile returning. "I only want to see if you're okay." Her gaze became one of skepticism, and her body shook from fear and intimidation.

He took note of this, chuckling sadly. "I know that might be hard to believe," He admitted. "But it's true. Allow me to prove it to you," He offered. She tore her gaze from him, looking around the room. There was a large window to her right, covered by baby blue silk curtains laced with silver lining. He noticed her curiosity, taking the opportunity to change the topic. "Do you want to see the garden just outside the church?" He asked her. "It's right out this window. It's beautiful in the winter, but it's even more so in the spring." She listened to him ramble about different flowers, her gaze turning into curiosity. She was still trying to come to terms with the fact that he was an innocent man trying to help her. She didn't want to believe it, still hesitant to trust him, but hearing him ramble about flowers kind of warmed her heart.

"So," He said, blushing from embarrassment as he realized he was ranting about flowers. "Want to see it?" She couldn't find the will in her heart to say no, so she gently nodded. He seemed ecstatic, rushing over to the window to push aside and tie the curtains to clear up the window. He turned to her, motioning for her to stand beside him. She looked at him, then at the blanket that covered her legs. They felt a little stronger than before. She heaved her legs out from underneath the blanket, turning around to face the right side of the bed. Her legs were covered in bruises and cuts, but they seemed to have been bandaged. She reckoned it was thanks to this mysterious man. Maybe out of pity.