Chpt. 2

Snow and Dirt
chpt. 2

POV | Third

He finished wrapping the bandages over her head, setting it back in place with a neat knot at the back of her head. "Does it feel secure?" Karamatsu asked her, to which she nodded. "Yes, it does." He helped her stand up from the stool in her new room. "Great. It's almost 9 p.m, so you should be going to bed now. You still need time to heal," He reminded her. She nodded again. "I will . . . heal. Eventually. But . . . how can sleep . . . sleeping . . . help?" She asked curiously. He smiled, walking over to the closet. "I'll take you to the doctor tomorrow, he'll be better at explaining it than me," Said the priest. He took out a pure white dress, handing it over to her. "Here, get changed in this nightgown before going to bed. I'll see you in the morning." She took the clothing, bowing her head. "Thank you," Thanked the young lady, her eye gleaming with uncertainty. He merely nodded, walking out of the room. As the door closed behind him, Y/n undid the tie in her hair, letting it fall to her back. It grazed the floor, but she didn't seem to care. She gripped onto the clothing in her arms tighter, before finally deciding to change.
As she finished changing, she looked out the window. Little white pellets of snow fell gently to the floor, coating the dirt in the yard of the church with it's sparkling shimmer. She walked closer to the window, adoring it from afar. She noticed a handle by the side of the window. She grabbed it, pushing gently against it. The window opened up, a gust of wind blowing into her room. Her hair lightly blew back, and she shivered as the breeze hit her mostly thinly veiled skin. "Pretty . . ." Her remaining eye shimmered with wonder. She looked over to the lantern resting on the nightstand. As an idea popped into her head, she rushed to grab the lantern and slowly opened up the door to her room. Peering into the hall, she saw that all the lights were off. She assumed everyone was asleep by this time. She stepped into the hall, her bare feet making the floorboards creak ever so slightly. She lifted her foot, pressing down on a different piece of wood. Once she noticed it didn't make a sound, she pressed all her weight onto it. She continued using the same method until she got to the staircase. She looked down, gulping, before jumping down 2 staircases. She landed on her tiptoes, making only a little squeak of surprise. Once she realized she was okay, she continued jumping down two steps at a time until she reached the first floor. She then ran over to the church doors, pushing one of them open and gently closing it back up. The cold winter air surrounded her, making he breathe out a sigh.

It felt . . . amazing.

As she walked out into the snow, her feet went numb due to the cold. Her nose went red, but she was too awed to really care. She looked to the sky, the lantern's flame reflecting in the snow around her. She set down the lantern, making the snow around it begin to melt. She pranced in the snow, watching as her feet made prints in the freshly fallen snow. She ran in a circle, watching as the prints followed her around. Her hair was getting wet with the snow it dragged against, and she could no longer feel her nose, feet, or hands at all.

"What are you doing?"

She jumped in surprise, spinning around to see Ichimatsu looking at her with a confused glare. She could only stare back at him with a innocent glance of her own. "It's . . . pretty," She said, picking up the snow in her hands. She threw it into the air, spinning around as it landed back to the floor. "You're gonna get sick." She looked back at him. "Sick?" She asked. "You can't just stay out in the cold like this, idiot," He sighed, angrily rolling his eyes. "Oh . . . " She hummed, looking back at the snow around them. "I just . . . I can't really . . . s-see the snow that goodly . . . goodly? Uhm- well," She corrected herself, nodding as she believed her correction was right. "Because . . . of my eye," She said, pointing to her bandage. "So . . . I want . . . wanted to feel it . . . " She finished her explanation, her hands clutching her dress. He had noticed she did that before, when they first met. He still didn't know why she did that. He assumed it was a subconscious anxiety thing. Hearing her explanation almost made him sympathetic.