Blindfolded

Eren Jaeger- finally 18 years old, the age that meant he could sign up to join the military.

He told himself he was doing this because he was patriotic for his country, for his home, Maria, but he wasn’t so sure. He wanted to believe he was aiming to settle the feud between Sina and Maria, but he wasn’t certain. If anything, he was doing it to for his own selfish reasons.

A few years ago, Eren’s father, Grisha, up and left. Left him and his mother, Carla, all by themselves. They never saw it coming though because it had been like any other normal week-day, all three of them in the kitchen eating breakfast together.

Grisha was a scientist working under the government and the military. He always wore a key around his neck; Eren never saw him without it and always wondered what it’s purpose was, but never asked. This was because most of the time, his response to those types of questions would be along the lines of, “I can’t tell you that, I’m sorry” or, “that’s classified information that I am not allowed to share.”

And it was understandable, even to Eren, as young as he was. If anyone ever were to target him, his family would be next, wouldn’t they? And if they knew nothing, what was there to gain from hurting them?

But the day Grisha left, he almost casually slipped the necklace over Eren’s head and around his neck as he headed for the door. It was as if he knew he wasn’t coming back, and for that reason, Eren didn’t know whether to hate the man or worry that something had happened to him that day.

Finally managing to unwrap his fingers from the tight grip around the glinting key-adorned necklace around his neck, he let out a heavy, breathy sigh and continued packing his things. He needed to stop thinking about the past and get out of here. He tried his best not to look around the room; he knew he’d miss it, the calm atmosphere, the feeling of being in his own comfort zone, of having not a fucking care in the world.

He also tried to avoid his mother’s lonely gaze as she stood in his doorway, watching him pack his clothing and accessories with her hands grasping the ends of her apron.

“Did you make sure to pack underwear, Eren?” She asked quietly.

“Yes, mom.”

“Extra underwear?”

A slight, embarrassed pink blush highlighted Eren’s cheeks and he stopped packing abruptly to turn and glare in her direction. “Yes, mom, please get off my dick.”

Carla’s eyebrows furrowed and trembled in her usual annoyance at his use of the D-word, and she crossed her arms over her chest, leaning against the doorway. “Speaking of that word I don’t like you saying,” at that Eren shut his mouth regretfully, “make sure to take those condoms that I brought you, alright?”

“I don’t need-!”

She raised her hand and Eren automatically closed his mouth once again. “I have a son who went to me for most of his,” her eyes flickered for a moment, “....boy problems. I wouldn’t doubt my intuition here and I did go through the trouble of buying you condoms at the store. I got way too many looks. And I’m serious about packing extra underwear, Eren Jaeger. I know what happens when you get….unwanted dreams...”

“Thank you, mom-of-the-year,” Eren mused, resuming his packing and making sure to hold his mother’s gaze crudely as he walked over to his drawer, yanked it open and grabbed who knows how many pairs of underwear. He was being a smartass on purpose, but Carla was all too use to it by now that she was unfazed and simply leered back his way.