Chapter 4

Friday October 11th

Zoe woke up Friday morning wrapped in her unzipped sleeping bag feeling colder than normal. Waking up feeling refreshed for once, she untangled herself from the flannel pattern and searched for her phone. The sound of a phone vibrating on the floor had pulled her from the deep slumber.

One new email:

Hi Ms. Bishop,

We looked over your resume and would love to have you come in for an interview. The times I have available are:

Friday @ 1 PM

Saturday @ 9 AM or 3 PM

Or next Tuesday @ 12 PM

I have attached a google calendar if you use that. If any of those times don't work for you, please let me know when you are free. I can work around your schedule. Please respond as soon as you can. I am on my phone often so feel free to reply whenever. Looking forward to meeting you. Impressive resume by the way.

Best Regards,

Grace A. Davis

Owner of The Steam Room

Mobile: 518-772-***

Email: g.a.davis@**********.***

The noise that came from Zoe seemed inhuman. Finally, since getting back, things were looking good. If she could nail this job, as soon as the other puzzle pieces fell into place, things were looking up. Housing was the next goal. Attainable, but meant facing some fears that held her back. She set the phone down and reached for the duffle and looked in her wallet, three fifty. Enough to get some laundry done at the laundromat. Zoe shuffled around in the duffle looking for the cleanest and nicest outfit she had.

She found a hoodie that had yet to be worn and a pair of dark blue, blue jeans. The dirty white vans she wore didn't add to the outfit. Knowing she'd have to explain why she showed up to a job interview looking like a homeless hobo. Hoping they cared more about who she was as a person, not her looks. A quick trip downstairs and the room filled with steam as Zoe got ready for the day. Early in the morning she got dressed, grabbed her wallet. Her favorite ball cap sitting on her head, used to be Alex's until she commendered it. Deciding to go bug Alex for some food she made the trek over to his place calling him. He picked up the third time she tried to ring him.

"Hey Alex, mind if I come to yours for some food? I'm almost out of my emergency funds and I need the money for laundry."

Alex, still half asleep since he didn't have to go to class til noon and had been sleeping peacefully in a king sized bed with his golden next to him. "Yeah sure, keys hidden in the back under the porch for the back door."

Zoe was about to say something else, but he hung up. She imagined him rolling back over in bed with his phone in his hand and Rusty snuggling in. She chuckled to herself and continued walking to his house.

Half an hour later. 6:30 AM

Zoe walked towards the back of the house and found the key under a broken board in the porch. Picking up the key, she entered it in the door turning the knob and letting herself in. Rusty heard movement and got out of bed and traveled out of the master bedroom. Barking at the intruder until he realized who it was. The aggressive and protective growls turned into happy yips and barks. Zoe didn't have to get any closer as Rusty ran over to her.

"Who's a good boy? Taking care of your father still?"

Rusty just licked her face and demanded to be pet. Zoe walked to the couch and invited him up and the two snuggled and reacquainted. A faint noise came from the bathroom and then footsteps sounded in the kitchen. A coffee maker turned on. The fridge opened and eggs sat on the counter.