Chapter 7

Saturday October 12th & 10/13

7:45 AM, Saturday October 12th

Zoe and Alex found themselves seated in a corner booth across from each other being handed menus and asked for drinks. She forgot the magic of Luke's, the red leather booths did their trick to brighten the room. The wooden tables made Zoe feel like a young child again. The masonry brickwork painted white to give it an older feeling.

The waiter brought back water and coffee to the table along with their homemade cider for Zoe. She had been busy taking in her surroundings Alex kicked her gently as the server asked if they were ready to order. Without having to look at the menu, Zoe knew what she had been secretly pining for.

"Stuffed french toast with bacon please, and a small side of home fries please!" Everyone around the table could hear the excitement in her voice while she ordered.

"I'll take the same, but can I swap the home fries for a side of eggs, over easy. Thank you."

Zoe's eyes flickered to Alex's once the waiter left to put their orders in. Taking her eyes off the artwork that decorated the walls. Smiles on both their faces. He had an inkling Zoe's mind filled with lots of questions, starting with his drink choice. Her face giving him an inquisitive look. Smirking, he let out a slight chuckle from his chest. Her intensity could have burned holes in his sweater.

"So..." She began.

"Food first, then I'll spill."

"Deal, but I will get the answers I so seek." The laughter left as she spoke. Reflection hit her in the moment, she could remember the last time she felt this good. Back in Louisiana, but Alex had been gone for four months already. Zoe kept her life moving not knowing that a year later she'd reconnect with him.

Being the only two at the diner, the food came sooner than either party realized.

"Enjoy!"

Zoe dug in not caring if she was attractive or not, just stuffing her face. The last time she had food from here was her early birthday party. She was turning eight. Little did she know a month or two later, her whole life would be upturned. Alex finished his food way before Zoe could even finish half of hers. He sat sipping his coffee admiring the atmosphere and Zoe.

"I'll be unavailable next weekend." He dropped the first bomb, but it would help to lay out the explanation he long owed.

"Why?"

Zoe quickly finished up as much as she could stomach, before asking for a box. The waiter left and Alex sat up grabbing Zoe's hand.

"Firstly," he began giving it a squeeze, then releasing, "I joined the guard here. I had so many chances to tell you, but I couldn't bring myself to let you know. It was selfish, but it's what I needed to do for myself currently.

Do you remember your birthday last year, the last time we saw each other before I took off? Well..." Alex looked at her stumbling over words.

"We got drunk at the bonfire and you took my sleeping ass home. What about it?"

Alex's face fell slightly.

She didn't remember.

"It's nothing, I wanted to tell you but I didn't know if you would remember it and I knew you had a good time and didn't want to ruin it."

Murmurs came from behind the two of them as Alex's brought the check to the counter to pay the bill.

"Is that her?"