f o u r

On the day of departure, Elizabeth stood on the dock, watching as people ran around, making last-minute shopping trips.

Armed with new boots, sharpened weapons, a match, and a fishing pole, Elizabeth excluded herself from the people who identified with last-minute shopping.

Earlier that week, Elizabeth set up her bunk on the Amphitrite, lined with traps for anyone who went poking in the wrong places. She spent the rest of her time stalking Amber, watching, marking her every movement.

The fire coursing through her veins had come to a state of calm, forging into an anger of ice so potent that all she could think about was the look on Amber's face.

The smugness, the arrogance. 

"Liz," a voice whispered in her ear.

Elizabeth whirled, nearly pulling a dagger on Huxley disguised as an old woman with one too many pet cats and a cane.

"The fuck? What are you doing here? You could have been followed." Elizabeth felt her heart rate speeding up in her chest. "You're crazy, aren't you? Fucking idiot. What if I hurt you? You could be bleeding out—"

"Hey, hey, hey, slow down," Huxley murmured, grabbing her arm. He steered her backward, away from the crowd, and into a back alley.

"What's wrong?" Elizabeth asked. Huxley would only show up like this if something was incredibly off. Life or death sort of off.

Huxley glanced around and straightened his back to his full height. "I think Lawrence and Clancy left us a clue. What they were looking for." He paused once more, eyes scanning, before continuing, "An assassin. There is an assassin on the Amphitrite."

"Yes, yes, you already told me that, what else?"

Huxley rolled his eyes. "They thought there was a possibility they had a partner with them in the government."

Elizabeth gaped at him, a small, strangled cry coming from her throat. "What do you mean 'possible?'" she furiously whispered back.

"Look, I don't know what to tell you. I just figured this out. It might not even be true, but just be careful." Huxley glanced around again, his eyes searching the area around them. The bustling crowds, yelling merchants. "One last thing." His voice dropped even quieter, enough so that Elizabeth had to lean forward to pick up the words. "They also thought the assassin may try to murder the Captain when you head out to sea. Sometime tomorrow."

"Wait, what—"

"Just be careful, Liz," he interrupted, turning to walk away.

"No, no!" Elizabeth grabbed his forearm, jerking him around. "Why would they kill the Captain?"

"I don't know. If I did you wouldn't have to go back on the Amphitrite. Just figure out why, don't let whoever he is die, and don't die yourself. I don't want to have to arrange another funeral. For fuck's sake they're expensive."

Elizabeth glared into his eyes, not releasing his arm. She narrowed them and her other hand reached for the knife at her side. 

Huxley groaned, breaking eye contact. "This could be wrong, okay? But I think the Captain might be the other person feeding information to the government." His eyes caught something behind her, above her head. 

Elizabeth whirled around, eyes scanning the bustling crowds. She felt Huxley's arm wrench out of her grasp, but by the time she turned around, he was already gone. 

 She took one last glance around, letting out a shaky breath.

Then she turned around and headed back to port. 

this is a very short update so hopefully u guys enjoy it! everything here is meant to set up what happens in the next part and the epilogue

i mostly write short stories cause i'm too scared of investing time into a novel and it not ending up mattering, so let me know if you would like to see more work from me and what genres/tropes! 

thanks for all ur support and remember to feel free to message me to chat anytime <333 

dont forget to comment ur thoughts, vote, and share it w ur friends! tysm