Chapter Twenty-Seven

As Thea laid there, crying and trying not to whimper, she tried to tell herself this snake was nothing. It was a harmless river snake or something. Yet deep down she knew--she knew this was a deadly snake, just like the one who's head had been left in Ankh's bed.

She kept her breathing even. She had read once about snakes, their habits, and what to do in encountering them. She remembered to bang sticks together, but she didn't have any of those. She remembered to try and make loud noises; since this snake was on her, though, she was afraid if she spooked it, it would bite. Then she remembered something that might actually help her--snakes didn't like certain smells, and she was nearly positive one of those smells was cinnamon.

On a small, ornate, golden table next to her bed sat a bottle of perfume. It smelled heavily of cinnamon, and was one of her favorites. Thea wondered if she moved her arm slowly, would it entice the snake to strike? She didn't feel comfortable opening her eyes; if she saw the snake she might freak. Or, if it saw her open her eyes, it might freak out and bite her.

As Thea thought about all this, she also continued her prayers to Aqen. She didn't know how that worked, or if it would work at all. Would Ahmed, wherever he was, hear her? Would he be able to help?

Right before Thea was going to attempt a grab for the perfume, something soft and fluffy hit her face. She screamed, feeling the snake being flung off her face. Thea leapt to her feet, continuing to scream, flailing. She backpedaled until her back hit the opposite wall, and she sank to her bottom.

As the door to her room was flung open, she heard a horrible sound. A cat, evidently, had grabbed the snake right off her face. There was terrible hissing coming from the other side of her bed, both from the snake and cat. The guards took one look at Thea, and she pointed to the commotion. They ran over, and she was alarmed when they drew swords. Thea watched in horror as they hacked away, over and over again.

When it was done, and there was silence, one of the guards picked up the cat. Thea scrambled to her feet. The cat, a gorgeous, huge cat, looking to be some sort of African wildcat, had seen better days. Though the blood making it's light fur slick didn't appear to be it's own, it was purring quietly with labored breathing. It's eyes were heavy, trying to keep them open.

When Thea noticed a collar around it's neck, where a single amethyst hung from, Thea gently pet the cat's head. "Oh no..."

"I'm sorry," the guard told Thea sympathetically. "It was bitten by the snake several times."

Thea nearly cried, resting her forehead against the cats own. It purred louder, closing it's eyes. "Thank you..."

"Ankh will be disappointed," the second guard said. When Thea looked at him, he held the large, dead snake by the neck. Blood flowed freely from the serpent, and Thea made a face. "This was Jackal, his favorite cat."

That made Thea feel ten times worse. However, the guard stepped forward, looking concerned. "Did the snake bite you?"

"I don't think so," Thea told him in a shaking voice.

"You're bleeding."

Thea was startled. "I am?"

The guard pointed to her right cheek as more guards poured into the room suddenly. Thea felt around, until she winced and drew her hand away. There wasn't much blood, but she was in fact, injured.

Thea looked down at the cat who had stopped purring. "I think--I think the cat scratched me. I'm fine."

"You should see the medic at once," the guard holding the brave cat told her. "Just to be sure."

"I'm fine--"

"Thea!"

Thea looked at the door. Ankh was rushing towards her, wearing nothing more but a loin clothe and a black, billowing robe. She blushed at his near nakedness. He grabbed her shoulders, looked at her a moment, and then pulled her into a hug. Then he held her at arms length, eyes searching her face in worry. "What happened?"

"There was a snake on me," Thea said. The weight of everything that had just taken place sunk in, and she dissolved into quiet tears.

"Are you alright? Were you bitten?"

"I don't--I don't think so. I think the cat accidentally scratched me. I'm going to have it checked out in a moment here."

"Cat?" Ankh looked at the guards, one holding the bloody snake, the other holding his dead cat. His face crumpled a moment but then hardened, going to the cat and petting it. "Oh, Jackal...Even in death you were brave. Thank you, friend. You will be deeply missed. May the Gods and Goddess' bless you with a happy afterlife. You deserve nothing but the best."

Thea sniffed as Ankh closed his eyes, leaving a lingering kiss on the cats head. When he opened his eyes he stood straight, looking in between the guards. "Thank you for your quick action," Ankh told them, causing the one holding the snake to blush at the praise of his Pharaoh. "Ensure Jackal receives the best burial; please include extra mice, he loved them."

Ankh looked at the one holding the snake and make a face of pure disdain. "Keep the snake in a basket--I want Lapis to view the carcass." Then the Ankh turned back to Thea. "Come--lets bring you to the medic."

"But, my King--" the guard holding the snake protested.

Ankh ignored him though. Instead he waved at the guards who had entered with him to follow him. Ankh wrapped his robe around himself tightly, walking with a purpose. Thea and the guards had to scurry along to keep up with him.

"This has gone on long enough," Ankh spat. "I will not be terrified in my own residence. My friends and family who live here shall not be terrorized, either."

Thea looked at him in wonder. It always impressed her, his shift in demeanor when he was Pharaoh Ankh.

"Is there a scribe here?" Ankh snapped over his shoulder.

"Yes," on of the guards stated, sheathing his sword and replacing it with a quill and papyrus.

"Have every solider pulled from inactive duty. No one is to sleep alone anymore. Everyone is to have at least two--not, scratch that, make it three--armed escorts wherever they go."

The scribe scribbled quickly. Thea would have loved to see the short-hand, but instead she remained next to Ankh.

"If we do not have enough guards, promote guards-in-training to full rank."

Thea noticed a few guards looked skeptical, but remained absolutely silent.

"It shall only be temporary," Ankh said then, as though reading their minds. "Once this mess is taken care of, they will continue onward with their training. As for right now," Ankh snarled, "wake Lapis and tell him what happened. Escort him to my royal reading room. Tell him myself and Thea shall meet with him shortly, once Thea is cleared to be healthy."

Three of the guards put their fists to their shoulders, and then hurried off to fetch Lapis. The rest of the walk to the medic was in absolute silence. Everyone could feel Ankh's rage snapping off his body, though.