Chapter Twenty-One

Thea's eyes were locked on the unconscious Lapis. The light in the room was dim, providing a subdued atmosphere. Many artifacts had been brought into this healing temple; gold miniature statues of Aqen, Ra, and Sekhmet sat besides incense holders which burned, leaving a thick waif of cinnamon.  

The bedroom-sized room was stuffed full. Several medics tended Lapis' wounds, dressing them, while another stood at his head to wipe his brow with a damp rag. A fever had quickly taken hold, and they were trying to stave it off. Thea could hear them muttering, muttering how pale and ashen Lapis' skin had become, and she tried to block out their worry from her mind.

There were also professional mourners. This agitated Thea, with their endless wailing and sobbing. They stood around, men and women alike, clutching bits of rags to wipe their noses and eyes with. There were so many of them Thea wondered how many actually knew Lapis. 

Then last, and most certainly not least, stood Ankh besides Thea. He was flanked by guards, standing shoulder-to-shoulder. Spears in hand, bows slung over their shoulders, quivers equipped. As Thea looked at the possibly-dying Lapis, she fended off stray thoughts how easy it would be for anyone in the room to simply turn and stab Ankh in the chest. 

"I can't do this anymore," Thea muttered, wiping a tear from her cheek with a sniff. 

Ankh made a clicking sound. A row of guards began to make their way out, followed by Ankh. Thea followed behind him, and she was followed by the remaining throng of guards. Thea blinked against the harsh sunlight, her eyes being accustomed to the dim light of candles from within the temple.

"I don't understand why mourners were called," Thea said to Ankh as they walked through town, people making room for the procession. "Is he going to die?"

"I hope not," Ankh replied gravely.

"Then why were they there?"

"The thought process is to show the wounded that they are cared for. It's to strengthen their ties to this mortal realm. If they know they have a purpose and people love them, they will want to stay."

"Well it gave me a headache."

Ankh said nothing.

Once they were all safely in the palace, some of the guard detail broke off, staying behind to patrol the front door. The remaining dozen continued to follow Ankh and Thea closely, repositioning so they were blocked in on all sides. The sound of marching feet was the only thing heard as they made their way through the grand winding corridors to the throne room.

Once they entered, Thea was surprised. Long ladders had been set up, a work crew hammering slabs of wood across the windows. People wearing white robes accented with turquoise patters were setting up candlesticks and lighting them for light. There were only a few more windows to be covered. 

Ankh broke off from his entourage and began pacing. Thea watched as his expression grew darker and darker. She shivered, his posturing reminding her of a caged animal. After a few minutes of this Ankh finally snapped. Angrily he smacked away a wine glass that had been sitting on a table besides his throne. The goblet went flying, liquid flung everywhere, and ricocheted off the ground, finally coming to a spinning stop by the door. 

"Get out," he said quietly to everyone in the room who had stopped whatever they were doing to stare at him.

For a moment no one spoke nor moved. Then one of the guards spoke, hesitation making his voice thick. "My King--not all the windows are secured--"

"I said get out!" Ankh screamed, now knocking over the small table that had once held the wine. "Get out! I don't give a damn, I want to be alone! Post guards on the roof, just get out of my fucking chamber!"

Everyone scrambled. As Thea started to leave with everyone rushing out, Ankh held out his arm to her. 

"Not you."

Thea turned around and stopped walking, biting her lip. Ankh was looking at her seriously; only her, no one else. Once the workers had climbed down their ladders and everyone was gone, Ankh lost what little composure he had. Stumbling once, he collapsed onto his throne, and began to weep softly.

Thea rushed over. "Ankh..."

"This is all my fault," Ankh lamented. "You don't understand. Lapis is like a brother to me. I get along better with him than some of my actual brothers. And now he might die, simply because he's close to me. It isn't fair."

Thea knelt before him, stroking the wig on his head. "Ankh, darling, it isn't your fault."

"When Lapis was appointed my vizier, there was nearly a coup before I was officially sworn in. Everyone knew how close we were. Our careers ran a path parallel . It came down to Lapis and another man. When Lapis was voted, fraud and slander was the whisper everywhere."

"How long ago was that?"

"Six years now." Ankh wiped his eyes and sighed. "A vizier is supposed to provide a counter-balance to the King. They're the mouth of the people. They thought with us being so close, I would simply have a monopoly on what was said and done." 

"Those sentiments probably never official died out with some people."

"I'm sure of it," Ankh agreed sadly. "I've clearly angered someone, somewhere--"

Thea nearly fell over. She caught herself at the last moment, holding her head. Ankh immediately grabbed her. 

"Thea--what is it? Are you alright?"

"I'm alright. I think--I think it's just my arm."

"You're not alright. You know as well as I do the arrows had been poisoned. Did they not get all of it out?" 

Even though Thea's arm had just been grazed, they had treated her wound immediately. She had been alarmed at the treatment (someone tied her arm and sucked the wound in the chariot), but decided it was better then possibly dying. 

Thea shook her head, her vision swimming. "I don't--I don't know."

"You need to rest," Ankh told her earnestly. "I am so sorry, I should have insisted on it--"

"It's fine," Thea said, forcing a smile even though she didn't feel well at all.

"Do you think you can stand?"

Thea nodded, and Ankh helped her to her feet. However, she nearly passed out, falling heavily against Ankh. Ankh gripped her tight, and then felt her forehead. "Oh Thea--you feel warm. Guards! Guards!"

"I'm fine," Thea insisted bitterly, even though she was fighting to stay conscious. 

"Guards! Bring a healer! Guards!"

~

Thea opened her eyes. She felt absolutely horrendous. Looking around her apartment, she remembered her dream. Bringing a hand to her forehead, it came away slick with sweat. She shivered violently, feeling feverish. 

Thea looked at her arm. Sure enough, just below her shoulder was a long, angry, red scratch. Her eyes went wide. Frantically grabbing her phone she called not 9-1-1, but the person she was absolutely, one hundred percent convinced could help her.

Ahmed.