Chapter Twenty

"I wanted to apologize to you," Thea told Lapis as they walked through the double-doors that led out of the throne room. 

Lapis rose his eyebrows, looking surprised.

"I wasn't aware that you two were so close. I didn't mean to implicate you in something nefarious." 

Lapis chuckled, shaking his head. "You knew no better. No harm."

"I also have something to ask of you," Thea continued.

"Of course, anything."

Thea patted the crook of Lapis' arm, and then released their arms. "I'm just a regular human. Can you treat me as such?"

Lapis stopped walking, looking down at Thea. His eyes were wide in reverence. "But you're not."

"I am," Thea insisted.

"But, if what you say is true--"

"It is."

"Then you are magical. Holy."

Thea snickered. "Trust me; there's nothing holy about me."

Lapis frowned deeply. Hooking his arm back through hers, they continued walking. "You traveled through time."

Now Thea sighed. "I don't have a good explanation about what exactly is going on. But, whatever it is, I'll get to the bottom of it."

Lapis glanced at her out of the side of his eye. "You're a very determined woman. I admire that quality in people."

Thea could feel herself color slightly at the compliment. "Thank you. So," she said then, switching gears. "I take it Ankh doesn't share your...spiritual reasoning's for my presence?"

The pair exited the huge building and walked out into the harsh sunlight. Thea wondered, if she was going to still have these dreams, if she would ever get used to how majestic ancient Egypt looked whole.  Everything was bright, lively. People milled about, going through their daily rituals. Woman walked past, carrying woven baskets on their heads. Children played, scampering underfoot. Men worked, skin glistening in the desert's heat.

One thing Thea would have to get used to was the nakedness. Many wore simple white clothes of linen. However, it was practical for many, men and women alike, to simply not wear anything. Furthermore, those that did wear clothing often wore a sheer material immodestly. Thea seemed to be the only one who was made uncomfortable by this, and she tried not to stare or look away dramatically.

Lapis sighed heavily, and when he spoke it was in a very quiet voice, ensuring only Thea heard his words. "The King...the King is conflicted." Lapis shifted his eyes to look down at Thea. "He used to be a man of the Gods. In fact, he used to be deeply devoted, borderline fanatical."

Thea rose her eyebrows, surprised.

"His mother's murder shook him to his very core. It was like day and night. Even at her embalming ceremony, as the priests spoke and blessed the body, well...His eyes were as hollow as his dead mother's eyes."

"You are close enough with his family to have been at her funeral?"

"Yes," Lapis replied. "Ankh and I are cousins. Distant cousins, but cousins nonetheless."

"Oh. Well, I'm sorry for your loss as well, then."

Lapis shrugged. "I wasn't very close with his mother. Yes, we were related, but by that point I was already heavily into my studies. I was at a bit of crossroads in my life; I either was to become a priest or seek political endeavors." 

Thea made a mental note to never, ever, insult religion in Lapis' presence out of respect of his beliefs. 

"Truth be told, I chose to take the political route because of Ankh."

"Oh?"

"After his mother died," Lapis said, dropping his voice even more. "He became...broken. I was worried for his well being. He was already on a trajectory to become a high-ranking official. If I became a priest, my access to him would be limited."

Thea gave Lapis' arm a squeeze. "I am very happy Ankh has someone like you in his life to look out for him."

"But of course," Lapis said immediately. "He was always there for me. When I declared I wanted to be known as a man, well...Most could have cared less. However, some balked. Others, while their intentions were pure, lagged behind in referring to me as male." Lapis smiled fondly. "Ankh was the only one who made the switch without hesitation, and who didn't treat me any differently."

Thea grinned and the royal vizier returned the look, adding, "Honestly I think it was because he resigned himself to the fact I could beat his ass in any sport we set out to play."

Thea tossed her head back and laughed at that. The pair came to stop in front of the large statue in the middle of town, the one of Aqen. Thea stared up into the serene face. Unlike the other status, who's visage looked straight ahead, Aqen's eyes were downcast. He appeared to be smiling ever so slightly (it brought to Thea's mind Mona Lisa), his palms facing outward at his sides. From his belt hung a crook on one side, a flail on the other. 

It was such a beautiful statue. Love seemed to pour from it. A sad pang tugged at Thea's heart. It was wild to her that in just a few thousand years, all this would be gone, literally lost in the sand of time. 

"He likes you, you know."

Thea blinked, looking at Lapis. Lapis stood, small smile on his lips, arms crossed with a hand at his chin. Thea felt herself turn red. The bashfulness caused Lapis to grin now. Thea cleared her throat, looking back up at the deity.

"And you?"

"Are you always so forward?"

"When it comes to my best friend's heart, yes, yes I am."

Thea was starting to wonder if Lapis liked Ankh as more than a friend. However, she wasn't stupid enough to vocalize something like that, so she kept it to herself. Instead she merely puckered her lips and crossed her arms behind her back, going up on the balls of her feet.

"Well?" Lapis pressed.

"I--"

Thea never got to finish her sentence. Something whizzed past her head, coming so close she heard the whoosh and her hair moved. Lapis screamed and crumpled to the ground. A second projectile nearly hit Thea on her other side, it ricocheting off of the statue.  Thea now screamed, too, and threw herself to the ground.

Chaos broke out. A third arrow struck, almost hitting Lapis in the leg. Beyond frightened, Thea backpedaled until she was wedged in the corner between the wall and the back of the Aqen statue. Yet another arrow hit Lapis and he screamed, while simultaneously an arrow grazed Thea's arm. Without thinking, Thea scrambled out from his hiding place, throwing herself across Lapis to cover him. She squeezed her eyes tight, waiting for an arrow to hit her back.

However, strangely, the strike never landed. 

"Lapis?!"

Lapis was crying. He had an arrow sticking out of his shoulder, which he clutched. A second arrow was sticking out of his abdomen.  Thea felt sick; blood was starting to pool beneath Lapis. 

"Help!" Thea began screaming, looking around at the cowering people. "Help me, please! He's hurt! I need help!"

A few seconds passed, which felt like an eternity to Thea. When no more arrows flew, a few people ran out from their hiding spots, coming over to try and help Lapis. Thea craned her head up, trying to see if she could see an archer anywhere on the roof tops. She saw no one.

A small group of woman picked up Thea from the ground. She tried to fight them, but they pointed out to her she herself was injured. As they bandaged her arm, Thea looked helplessly at the wounded Lapis. Thankfully it didn't take long for a chariot to arrive. 

A group of soldiers and medics came out of the large chariot, rushing over to Lapis. Thea insisted she be transported with him. Reluctantly they agreed, though it was just because they wanted to treat Lapis quickly and didn't have time to argue. 

As the horses were spurred into a run, and Thea clutched onto the fast moving vehicle for dear life, she began to cry softly. Watching Lapis as he flailed and screamed, she had never felt so utterly helpless in her entire life. She shut her eyes, praying to Aqen for Lapis' life.