"And, this time, we'll have all the time we need."

There was only one thing left to ask Garrett. I was worried he’d answer no and even more terrified he’d answer yes.

I set my empty glàss down and glanced out the window before turning my attention back to him. The last of my wine had failed to move the lump of excitement lodged in my throat.

“Do you still want to do this?” I asked, heart pounding. Under the table, my hands fluttered in my lap, restless and excited.

“Yes, I still want to do this,” he said without hesitation.

“Should we go over the rules one more time?”

A slow smile spread across Garrett’s face. “Only if you need to.”

“I don’t.”

He rose from his seat and came to pull mine out for me. After helping me into my coat, he rested a hand at the small of my back and guided me from the restaurant.

Conversation was quiet, minimal, during the drive to my hotel.

We swept through the lobby, headed straight to the bank of elevators. I barely noticed the rich marble gleaming under my feet or the huge glittering chandelier suspended fifty feet above. It was all I could do to maintain my composure.

Garrett pushed the call button. Other people gathered around, all waiting to go up.

I tried to imagine what each of them was returning to in their rooms but all that came to mind was what I had waiting for me.

The elevator announced its arrival with a chiming melody. It took a moment for the people inside to exit and another moment for our companions to move in.

We ended up in a back corner. The elevator filled taking ever more of my personal space with it.

Garrett slid his hand into mine and leaned his face to my shoulder.

“Full crowd,” he whispered, his hand giving mine a quick squeeze.

Most of the guests got off before the fifteenth floor. As soon as we pàssed the twentieth, we had the elevator to ourselves.

The car started up. I turned and pulled the emergency stop jerking us to a halt and setting off an alarm.

“What are you doing?” he asked.

“This is the only chance we’re ever going to have to be alone together. I want it to last more than sixty seconds.”

The alarm went quiet. Under the elevator buttons, the emergency phone rang. I answered it.

“Hi, sorry, my mistake.”

I listened then spoke. “Thank you. Sorry. It won’t happen again.”