Letter #3

October 1st

Dear Denali,

Do you remember the day we met? We were on senior year of high school and my friends said someone couldn’t keep their eyes off of me, and when I turned around I catched you looking at me and you smiled. God, I miss your smile.

I still remember the feeling of my face turning red, because something like that never happened to me before. Imagine how excited I was when you approached to me a couple of days after and talked to me for the very first time. You had your black hair falling down your shoulders, a big smile on your face and you were carrying some books. That night I lay awake for hours smiling because you called me beautiful and I’d never considered that word could apply to me.

Meeting you was like listening to a song for the first time and knowing it would be my favorite. And you’re my favorite.

I wanna take you on a date again, Nali. Like that time I thought it would be nice to go ice skating together, but I kept falling and you laughing at me while you tried to hold me. It was a mess, but it was the most beautiful mess of all. And I’m not gonna lie, sometimes I pretended to fall so you could catch me, and I could feel your arms around me and hear your giggles.

I miss you, Nali. I miss how deep you used to look into my eyes, how you always knew exactly how I was feeling, how you always understood all my unsaid words. I miss your dimples too, and let me tell you, your dimples were so impressive that they left their mark directly on my heart.

You made me a better me, Nali. And now that I lost you, I lost myself too. Because when I think about the future, I think about you, but that’s impossible now.

I wish you were here, I wish every day to hold you once more.

Love, Rosie