Epilogue (2): Orientation

Epilogue (2):
Orientation

The war had come to an end and the white flash that brought Alister and his fiancé to the endless battlefield had washed them anew. He survived. On top of that, he'd learned who he truly was. What he truly was. A God.

The story, a long and mind-boggling one, of who he was and who he's destined to become, was long from over. In fact, it had taken quite an unexpected twist. A twist in the form of an unplanned baby.

A cosmic baby beget of power Alister was born to guard.

In all the chaos, destruction, trauma, and darkness they'd faced, Alister and Dick welcomed the baby's light. They named him Abel. It was a strange coincidence, really, how the name came to them both the moment they laid eyes on the 4 month old when he quite literally manifested into Alister's arms.

"Uh, Babe, a little he—Abel stop that!" Dick's voice (pitched with alarm) was muffled as it came through the bathroom door.

Alister was broken from his stare. He blinked and refocused on himself. The dark rings around his eyes were a tell for just how many late nights he had with Abel. The deadly war which collapsed time, dimensions, and Gods alike could not compare to having an infant that won't go down for a nap.

A super-powered one no less.

Alister splashed his face with water. He rubbed the cool water into his tawny skin. Pressing into the crevices of his hooked nose. He shut his eyes. Just for a moment. A few seconds of micro sleep would do him well. Even in the middle of the day.

Krypto's whine preceded an obnoxious thud. The floor shook a bit. After that, a few more crashes.

He stopped the sink and turned around. Alister opened the bathroom door and entered the pastel blue nursery. To find his fiancé holding his arms up into the air, Krypto scurrying toward the open door, and a bunch of blue lights swirling around the room.

"Dick, what's—"

Abel squealed as he fell out of the air. The 15 pounds of cosmic mischief rained from the roof in a single drop. He fell into a fit of cackles when his father caught him.

"Never mind," Alister finished.

Dick released a breath in the form of a laugh. He softened his grip on the baby and supported his head. Despite his immense worry moments before, he started to smile down at the blue-eyed bundle of joy.

"You're gonna give me a heart attack one of these days, Bug." Dick said to the baby.

He carefully stepped over a pile of fallen bottles and formula. He carried Abel to the expensive crib Bruce had sent over a month before Abel arrived. Dick knew better than to believe Bruce had picked it out, so he called Alfred to thank him.

"I don't know, Dick, I think we have a future acrobat on our hands." Alister teased.

Dick snorted.

"What happened to putting the baby down for a nap?" Alister questioned. He leaned against the doorframe, arms crossed, and a smirk on his face. He watched Dick's behind as he handled their son. The thought of them being parents together made him chuckle giddily to himself.

"Gravity—or a lack thereof—happened," Dick responded over his shoulder. "I put him down in his crib and he decided to fly. What happened to you? You were supposed to be helping. Not hiding in the bathroom."