In Each Others Arms (Muriel x Reader)

*Art is not mine, credit belongs to the original artist.*

Rain was crashing down onto the forest leaves. The ground soon becoming nothing but mush. Inanna was cuddled up by the fire place as Muriel was finishing up the dishes. It had been raining like this for weeks on end, but what y/n didn't know waa that thia was going to be the worse one yet, at least for them.

The tapping sound of the rain grew stronger and stronger until it was a deafening cry. Y/n started to grow anxious. They clutched onto their blanket as they slowly and unconsciously started to shake. Muriel had been watching out of the corner of his eye. He was more observant than he let on. He turned around to put away the last plate, when BOOM!

A yelp came out from behind Muriel. He dropped his plate out of shock, due to the thunder being so loud. He turned around and gazed at the sight of y/n curled up into a blanket, shivering. Sobs were escaping y/n lips. Inanna barely rose her head to observe the commotion, but then plopped her head back down onto the ground.

"Cub?..." Muriel whispered.

Y/n did not respond, they only grasped onto blanket as much as they possible could. Muriel couldn't stand the sight of y/n petrified. He stood back and tried to think of how to help them. Then an idea came to him. He walked over and picked up Inanna and placed her next to y/n. They fluttered their teary eyes open and gazed at Inanna. They gradually started to let go and begin to pet Inanna, until another bolt of lighting crashed down from the sky. Y/n whimpered and dove back under the blanket. Muriel sighed in defeat, thinking that would help. He then tried something else.

The gigantic teddybear stomped over towards the cupboard and grab some tea. He began to boil the water and steppe the tea. He thought the scent of lavender and citrus would calm the terrified y/n. However that wasn't the case. Thunder roared yet again and y/n was struggling to keep the tea steady. Their hands were shaking like an earthquake. They couldn't look him in the eye.

"I-i'm s-sorr-" y/n mumbled as they were soon stopped by the thunder yet again.

Muriel almost began to cry. He hated the sight of y/n being scared. They leapt forward towards the huge figure out of shock. They gripped onto Muriel's shirt for dear life. They opened their eyes and glanced up at Muriel.

"Sorry....." Y/n muttered as they pulled back.

They tried crawling into the blanket again when a calloused hand pulled them back into his chest. It was gentle and warm. The rhythmic heartbeat of tbe gentle giant was too lovely to be ignored. Y/n gaze up at him. His emerald green eyes promised comfort but also casted sorrow. Taking his eyes as a sign to stay, y/n nuzzled their head into his chest. The war of thunder and lightning kept raging on outside. Each and everytime thunder was about to screech, as if it was his sixth sense, Muriel caressed y/n's ears to soften the sound. Finally, y/n's body started to relax as they drifted farther and farther into slumber. The Southern Hermit took this as a sign to lay back and start running his hands through y/n's h/c, h/l, locks.

***

Daybreak came and the world was at rest. The storm finally subsided and all was right again. Birds were chirping, remains of rain were dripping off the forest leaves, and squirrels were gliding from branch to branch. Y/n's eyes fluttered open as they took in their surroundings. The observed a dead asleep Muriel with what seems to be bags under his eyes. Y/n then started to recall all the things that happened the day before. They started to fidget with Muriel's shirt, hoping that he wouldn't wake up and see their red face. Y/n gazed back up at Muriel's demeanour. His hair was laying on top of the pillows, stray hairs scattered everywhere. There was one strand that was stuck to his forehead fluttering back and forth to his every breath. Y/n reached out to tuck it behind his ear. As they did that, Muriel started to stir in his sleep. He lazily grabbed y/n's hand holding it close to his cheek. Y/n held in their breath as they began to stroke his cheek. Muriel's eyes began to open slowly and a smile crept onto his face.

"Good morning little one~" a sleepy Muriel mumbled.

"Good morning my ursa~" y/n answered.

And so the two of them stayed in each others arms all day, whispering sweet nothings and dropping in a soft kiss or two. All was calm again.