Chapter 8: To the End

{Just an accident}

They were fighting again. Kevin had bought him a new car with his bonus. It was not so much that Edd was unhappy with the gift, he just found it unnecessary. His old Chevy was perfectly fine.

"So now I can't buy you gifts!?" The redhead shouted. Edd looked at him incredulously stunned.

"You are fully aware that it's the farthest thing from my statement." The ravenette tried to keep his voice down, but he was beginning to feel drowned out by Kevin's voice.

"Then what are you saying Edd!?"

Edd's face heated up, they were going no where fast, both men were just becoming more and more angry. "I'm saying I am done."

Edd grabbed his car keys, he threw the new set at Kevin and walked out of the house. He was over reacting. Edd knew the upgrade was a very sweet gesture, it had come with the best of intentions. However, he was not ready to part with the old Chevy. He threw open the cars door and slid into the drivers seat. Kevin was just walking out of the house when Edd pulled out of the drive way, he left the sound of Kevin shouting his name in the background as he drove off.

He was unsure of where he was headed, he just wanted to get away.

When he finally stopped the car he realized he had driven back to the old Cul De Sac. The houses all looked the same, yet different. New families lived in most of homes along the lane. Edd sat there for what felt like hours, remembering forgotten times he had shared with his friends. Tears streamed down his cheeks as he pulled his phone from his pocket. He quickly dialed Kevin's cell and waited for the other to answer.

"Edd?"

A smile.

"Kevin... I'm so sorry.. I shouldn't have reacted the way I did. The car was a wonderful gift."

A chuckled from the other line.

"Edd I-"

"Oh hold on. A ball is stuck under the car." Edd got out of the car and ducked down to retrieve the toy. Once it was in his hands he got back to his feet and made his way over to the children. "Sorry about that. What were you going to say?"

"Just I love you Edd."

A smile spread across Edd's face. He stopped in the middle of the lane, gripping his phone tightly. "I lo--"

There was a screeching sound, like a car trying to suddenly breaking sounded through the phone before the line went dead...

-=*********=-

Edd woke with a start to Kelsey was screaming.

Kevin had to be at work at 4:30 that morning, and so as he rose to go check on the little girl, Edd stopped him with reassurance that he would take care of whatever may have caused her to wake at the ungodly hour.

Edd shuffled down the dark hall, calling out to the little girl that he was coming. He swung the rooms doors open and flipped on a desktop lamp. Kelsey was hiding under her blankets, little sobs revealing how frightened she was. Edd walked over to the bed and sat next to the lump of blanket.

"Shhh... Little girl, Daddy's here." Edd pulled the blanket back. The child crawled into the ravenette's lap and clung to him. Edd gently rubbed her back. "Was it a nightmare?"

She nodded.

"Would you like to talk about it?" Edd got up with Kelsey in his arms and walked over to a rocking chair across the room. They settled in it and began rocking.