Pain

Hours passed, with lots of loud, scary noises from outside. It scared Ava. She boosted herself with a little bit of courage and confidence and started to walk slowly to the door of the house, not knowing what is on the other side. She stopped for a few seconds at the door, her hands holding the knob of the door but yet to open it. She crouched as she opened the door slightly ajar, enough for her to pop her head through. This was the point that her whole life crumbled before her very eyes. She caught a glimpse of what was happening outside: Genovian army and the trolls slashing each other with swords, Genovians crying and shouting for help with trolls were chasing after them, Genovians attacking back but to no avail. What really crushed Ava into pieces was the moment she saw the troll king had her brother pinned to the floor with no means of being able to get back up. Bruises and blood were all over Damien. She was terrified.

"You can never defeat me, young Genovian" the troll king said.

"You...will never get away with the bullshit y'all been pulling, Zoljin. Whatever happened in the past...stays in the past" Damien said but was barely able to squeeze out his words in between heavy breaths. Zoljin seemed to have beaten the life out of Damien.

"Revenge is never the answer...or solution to anyth-"

"Pfft, you puny little humanoids! You don't know anything; you'll never know anything!" Zoljin, the king of the trolls cut him off abruptly, followed by another large punch to the chest that left Damien struggling to catch his breath.

"My dad died in your lands! And for what? A minor prank. You will never know what it's like to lose someone you love!" Zoljin was fuming with anger, you could practically see the flames above his head.

"I do, Zoljin... I do... 100% of it" Damien mustered some energy to get some words through.

"It tears through your soul; it stings like salt on a wound. You never get to see them again. They're gone, forever. I understand it completely Zoljin...but this isn't the way to express the pain and sadness you're experiencing. Trust me..." Damien heavily breathed as he forced out this sentence, the pain is killing him. Ava was extremely petrified now.

"You know, I've been doing a little stalking on those humans that live on Earth. Interesting yet disgusting beings they are. And you know one thing I learned from them? It's an interesting one" Zoljin taunted, like a lion playing with its food before consuming it.

"Have you ever heard of the word those humans on Earth use? They call it...ah yes, Schadenfreude, it means taking joy in other's pain, and I live for it. Oh, how soothing it is to see others in pain much worse than me" Zoljin said with a huge evil smirk on his face.

"But don't worry, it's ok, I'll make sure you'llnever have to feel any pain anymore, forever" As Zoljin said this, he took outhis dagger and stabbed straight through Damien. Ava wanted to scream so badlybut held herself back so that she doesn't make any sound that'll draw attentionin her general direction. She could only let her tears roll down the side ofher cheeks, internalizing everything that had just happened. Zoljin let out ahuge troll roar and felt really proud of himself for the deed he had done. Then,he left Genovia with pride and arrogance written all over his forehead.