3

excuse all mistakes ™

Alessio Scalzotto

📍 Alley

"Dude, I'm telling you I know what I'm talking about" I laughed at Joey's words, walking down a side walk in Charlottes Town

"Dude, I'm telling you I know what I'm talking about" I laughed at Joey's words, walking down a side walk in Charlottes Town. "Do you hear that?" I asked, stopping in my tracks. "It sounds like a scream" Joey said, eating one of his street tacos. "Yeah it does" I followed the sound, seeing a few people avoiding eye contact with each other, all clearly thinking the same thing. "What happened?" I asked a few people, getting no answer. "Hey! What happened?" I shouted, getting people's attention. "A guy.. he took a girl back there" A homeless man pointed at an alley way

"Help!" A girl screamed out of the darkness. Joey and I darted down the alley, approaching three guys crowded over a small figure. 'Fuck' A sense of panic sheered over me.  'I don't have my gun.' As if he read my mind, Joey pulled out his own and cocked it back. "Get away from her." Joey warned, not moving his finger off the trigger or a second. The three men looked back, one holding the girl close to him. I couldn't see very well, but I did see shoes kicking the ground, attempting to flee from his grasp. "Take another step and I'll kill her." Only then did I notice the pocket knife in his free hand. "Please" The girl whimpered softly.

My heart pounded for her. "Joey, give me the gun." I said, not a hint of question in my voice. Without moving his eyes off of them, he handed the gun over. I raised the gun up. "I'm gonna say it again; Let. Her. Go." My voice was calm, but stern. It traveled throughout the dark, dirty, and drug filled alleyway. "Now." 

One of the men raised his hands, in an attempt to escape unharmed. And then another. The last one, the man holding the girl.. He looked at me in the eyes. "Do it." He said.

"Do it. You'll only kill us both. Or better yet, just her." He tempted me. But he was right. It was a long shot off me only hitting him. The girl sobbed quietly, defeated and barely conscious. "Fine." I put the gun on the floor. "Are you fucking dumb?!" Joey exclaimed, but I ignored him. I began walking towards the girl and the sicko. The other two had been long gone, scurrying off while they still had all their body parts in tact. Eventually, I was close enough to look him in the eyes. I took that as an advantage and never once did we break eye contact. 

Suddenly, Joey came from behind him. The gun was on the back of the mans head and he felt it. "Checkmate." I said, smirking softly. The guy, obvious fear in his eyes, began to tremble as he slowly put the knife down and let the girl out of his grip. I caught her and immediately checked her body for any notable injuries. "Oh my god." My heart dropped.

"What? What is it?" Joey looked between me and the man. "It's Maddie." I croaked out.

It was like a cheap movie from there. Joey shot the gun, next minute we were in the car racing down the highway, then we were in a waiting room with Maddie's parents.

...

"So you have no idea what happened?" Maddie's mom asked for the seventh time. Joey answered her once again, "No ma'am. We didn't even know it was her." This time, a doctor came out to answer all of her questions. "Please follow me." He spoke softly, almost like he was afraid to break them. As me and Joey got up, the doctor turned towards us. "Only her parents, at this time." His tone of voice with us was different, cold. "What? We were the ones that saved her!" I exclaimed, in disbelief. "Alessio, please." Maddie's stepfather looked at me. I sighed. "Whatever. I   have to go anyway." I lied, feeling for my keys in my back right pocket. I took them out. "Just call me when I can see her." I said, to which her mother nodded. "Thank you for helping my baby." 

Her voice was even softer than the doctors. It broke my heart to see her so vulnerable. I nodded instead of replying with words, it felt like my heart would break with every word I spoke. "You comin', Joey?" I turned to my friend. He nodded and followed me out of the hospital I had been in and out of so many times..