Chapter VI

Although Sjoerd is 100% right and he did whatever is right for us both, I'm heartbroken. I'm trying my best to wipe away the tears in my eyes, but they keep coming. I take a deep breath and stand up from the desk, the world feels different and I'm very dizzy. I put my phone back in my pocket and walk towards the double door. I wipe my eyes once again and take another deep breath before opening them.

Jesse is sitting in one of his seats and he's on his phone. Before I even get to chance to say anything, Jesss turns around. He sees the look on my face and stands up, walks over to me.

He opens his arms while walking towards me, I lean in for a hug and he gives me a tight hug with one arm. I wrap both my arms around him, and I start to cry again. Jesse is a bit taller than I am so he leans a bit forward when hugging me. I try not to cry too much bc I don't want to ruin his sweater. His spare arm is going up and down my upper back. "Whatever happened, it's all going to be better".

It's quite easy for him to say that, his wife was quite shocked but okay with this all happening meanwhile my boyfriend – or maybe ex boyfriend – is mad at me. His choice of words is comforting, instead of saying 'okay' or 'alright' he just says 'better'. I honestly hate when people say those words, because you don't know if things will get okay.

We stand like this for a few minutes before I let go. My eyes are red and swollen, and I try to wipe the last few tears off my face. Jesse walks over to his desk and grabs something from the bookshelves behind his desk. A reusable bottle of water.
He gives it to me and I thank him. I take a few sips. "Do you wanna talk about what happened?" he asks me.

For some reason I don't, but then again, I need to get it off my chest. Jesse is a great friend, and I do trust him enough but I don't want to make him feel sorry for me. But if there's one person who knows my situation, it's Jesse. "I do actually".

Jesse smiles at me and walks over to the seats to sit down, I sit down across from him and I'm still shaking. I tell him about calling my mom first, and how she's disappointed in me but is willing to offer me a bed for tonight. I watch how he looks a bit lost when mentioning my mother. Jesse lost his mother a few years ago when she suffered an intracranial hemorrhage. It must be hard for him not to have his mother during times like these.

I also tell him about Sjoerd's decision to take a break. How Sjoerd was mad and how I said stupid stuff. Jesse seems interested and is really listening to me. I look at the clock and it's currently 7:10 p.m. and I have to drive for an hour and a half to get to my parents' place.

"I think we should go home, Jesse", I tell him, Jesse looks at the clock and nods. "It's been a long day, for both of us".

We look at each other before leaving Jesse's office. Jesse locks the door and we make our way downstairs. It's quiet and there's barely anyone except for cleaning staff and we just smile and greet them while walking down the stairs. We have to cross the Binnenhof to get to our cars. I'm scared there will be press and they'll spot us together again.
The binnenhof is a big square that connects all of the parliaments buildings together. It's open to the public which means anyone can just walk there.

I stop when we get to the first floor, I'm doubting because if the press sees us together we'll be even more fucked. Jesse doesn't notice that I'm not following him anymore, so I call him name. "Jesse, if the Dutch press sees us together, it's going to be sensational".

"I know", He says, not even impressed or shocked. "That's why we're gonna go together".

"Wait what?", I'm shocked and I look at Jesse who just smiles at me. His hands goes in the pocket of his denim jeans, and he grabs his phone. He opens some apps. And shows me some tweets. I look at them and people are freaking out about the two of us being together.