Chapter 2: I saw a train today

[I really want to die.]

He walked home alone today. Han Sooyoung had told him to head on without her, as it was her turn to clean up the classroom.

The pavement was wet from a recent rain, leaving puddles scattered all over the road. A group of kids ran past him, laughing and pushing each other.

It was almost dark, the sun painting streaks across the sky.

[I want to take a picture of that.]

He looked around for high ground, his eyes focusing on an elevated hill on the side of the road.

Deciding that there would be the perfect spot, he climbed up, occasionally stumbling and slipping on the wet grass.

Reaching the top of the hill, he found himself face to face with a pair of railroad tracks.

[Very aesthetic.]

He took out his phone from his bag and took a few photos of the sky. He opened his camera roll to see what came out of his efforts.

[They are surprisingly...ugly. I guess I really can't do anything right.]

Engrossed with how bad his photography skills were, he didn't notice the oncoming train around the bend.

Once he gave any regard to his surroundings, the train was too close for him to dodge.

[I guess this is it.]

He looked at the oncoming train and thought...that it made a good picture.

[I'll make the top headlines tomorrow. 'Idiotic student thought it was cool to take a direct moving picture of a train, and killed himself'.]

[Well, at least I'll be known for something.]

He raised his phone, took a few photos, and braced for impact.

However, before the train could reach him, he felt something slam into his ribcage, sending him flying.

[Owww...]

When he came to consciousness, he found himself laying on a hard surface with bandages loosely thrown on him and a pressuring force on him chest.

He could feel water droplets splattering on him.

[Is it raining?]

"Waahh, ajushi please don't be dead." A girl was crying over him. She had short brown hair and vivid red eyes.

[She called me uncle. Am I that old?]

As he started to sit up, he found the pressuring force release and a boy come into his line of sight.

[Was he trying to do CPR?]

The boy's fluffy brown hair slightly ticked his nose, causing him to sneeze.

Once the boy saw that he was completely awake, the boy started bawling. "Dokja hyung, I thought you were dead."

[I'll just ignore the fact that they know my name.]

He rubbed his eyes. "Who are you?"

They promptly answered, "Your children."

He laughed awkwardly. "Me?" He pointed to himself.

They nodded.

"Are you sure you have the right person?"

[I'm 17. I'm too young to have children.]

"Yes. From the future." Their hopeful expressions caused him to falter a bit.

[Well these kids must be mental. Welcome to the family.]

"Are you lost?"

The girl glanced at the boy and they nodded. "We don't have anyplace to go. Can we come with you?"

[I hate kids. But they saved my life. Even if I didn't really want it to be saved.]

"Are you sure you don't have anyplace to go? Like relatives or family friends..."

[I fucking hate kids.]

The kids shook their heads at him tearfully assaulting him with puppy eyes.

"Haa, okay, fine. Only for a few days."

Their complexions brightened up in an instant and stars appeared in their eyes. "Let's work hard together," they said in unison, griping his hands tightly.

He stood up and they immediately latched onto his arms like leeches, as if they were afraid he would run off.

"Let's go then."

[I'm going to be broke.]