it's not your fault, ch.3

Emma, clearly, wasn't ok.
She was angry. And scared. And sad.
Her mind kept going over and over the same memories.
When Ray jumped in front of her.
When the demon's claws shredded his pale skin. The skin, that, until then, had only been littered with small scars from rocks or falls.
Now, he was covered in those horrid markings.
And it was her fault.

<stupid..> she thought to herself, pounding on her head with her fist.
<stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid! It's all your fault!!>

Emma took a shuddering breath and reloaded her gun.
The one she couldn't shoot to protect him.
Bang!
Emma had hit her target right on the spot.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

<Welp.> Ray thought.

<I'm either dead or alive. That doesn't do much for what's happening, but whatever.>
Then, Ray realized something. His chest was wrapped in something.. tight. Not to tight, but something tight. He looked down, and yelped. His chest was wrapped in bandages. His arms were wrapped in bandages as well. As was the exposed part of his face.

<Emma must've gotten us home, huh?> he smiled. Ray shouldn't have doubted her. Emma was more capable than he gave the bouncy 13 year old credit for.

Emma..

The girl he'd fallen for.

Who could make him smile, even on his worst days.

Who held him and rocked him though his panic attacks.

Who he would protect with his life.

Who would protect him with her life.

He smiled fondly at the memory of Yuugo pulling him aside and saying
"Listen up, Cyclops. I think we need to have a talk." Ray looked at him confused.
"It's about Emma." The raven haired boy's face and ears turned a violent shade of red.
"Oh shit." Yuugo said, "It's worse than I thought!"

"W-wh- what about EmMA?" Ray's voice cracked horribly at her name. Lukas's exasperated sigh came from behind Yuugo as he gently shoved him out of the way. "Ay, Yuugo, leave Ray alone."

The 2 adult's bickering filled the hall and Ray stood there awkwardly as he hid his head in his hands.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

"Emma?" Anna came bursting into the room. "Anna? What's up?" Emma turned around to look at the small-figured blonde. "It's about Ray. Can you come to the infirmary?" Anna's voice was soft and shaky, but it struck fear into the heart of Emma.

"S-sure." Emma said, hating her wobbly voice.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

"He's in a coma, Emma. I don't know much about them, but from what it seems.. there's a chance he may never wake up." Anna's words were lost to Emma as the ginger's world came crashing down on her.

For the rest of the day, she was in a daze. A trance.
She didn't know what was happening, and didn't want to.
She was sick of the pitiful looks she got from everyone.
She was sick of the kids running away from her instead of towards.
She was sick of spending the nights in her own room, staring at the ceiling. She wanted to be with Ray, but Yuugo and Lukas wouldn't let her. "You still need a good night's rest, Emma."

<Bullshit.> she thought.

She turned over in her bed and gripped the book Ray had been reading to her before they left on the hunting trip. It was called "5 Feet Apart". it was about these two kids with a fatal illness, and they fall in love.

Spoiler alert, literally everyone interesting dies.

Emma liked it, though. It was sweet, how the kids would sacrifice themselves for each other.

Kinda like her and Ray..

Emma's cheeks and ears became painted with a light shade of pink.

Why would she think that?! Ray's her best friend! Her brother! She'd known him since they both were babies!!

<besides,>

Emma thought to herself,

<he'd never think of me like that!>