Daisy

I remember the flashing lights. Red, green, purple and blue. They illuminated his handsome face in the darkness and I carefully studied every feature. His hazel eyes drew me in and his smile lit up the night. I tried to commit every feature to memory. Every smile line, every beauty spot. I knew the moment would be fleeting. I knew that it wouldn't last forever.

As he pulled me through the carnival, I tried not to cry. I focussed on the warm, calloused hand holding my petite one and tried to be in the moment. There were bangs and crashes from all the carnival games, but the only sound I focused on, was the sound of his musical laughter caressing my ears. I wanted to remember that sound forever. The air smelt like popcorn and hot chocolate. It smelt like our first date. I wondered if it would be our last.

I didn't know when I would see him again. I loved him with all of me. He was my everything and I had to say goodbye. He had to go, though. It was a huge opportunity. It could make or break his career. I couldn't let it 'break' his career, even though letting him leave broke my heart. As we walked in between the stalls, the ferris wheel came nearer. I remember thinking about our first date. I remember what he said to me that day on the ferris wheel.

"Come with me Daisy. Let's leave together."

Until then, I didn't know that a few words could break my heart in two.

"I can't. I can't make you my whole life. I'm sorry." My voice cracked, as I tried to finish the sentence.

"I understand Daisy. I love you."

I remember a tear rolling down my cheek.

"Daisy?" Jason's voice snapped me back to the present.

"Yeah, Jason?"

"What are you thinking about?"

"How glad I am that you're back. I love you Jason."

"I love you Daisy."

I looked down at the carnival below. From our first meeting, to our first date, everything came back to the ferris wheel.