06

"We won't tolerate you going home late anymore."

You nodded your head apologetically, writing your name on the daily log papers. Up early in the morning, you were about to go to school when the supervisor stopped you at the front desk. She reproached you for staying out too much. With your late-night escapades with the notorious Kim Taehyung, the dormitory's security guard had been letting you in the premises at the middle of the night. Sometimes, you would skip writing your name on the log to hide that you've been out at such a late hour.

"I'm sorry. I was just... taking a look around the city." you meekly told the supervisor, "I'm not familiar with the place so I get lost sometimes." you continued with the tiniest portion of the truth, feigning innocence. Ms. Cho nodded her head in acknowledgement, her gaze softening at you.

Dressed in your uniform, you stood right outside the dormitory with arms crossed over your chest. You mustered all your strength to mask your growing impatience with the supervisor. As the wind kissed your cheeks, you wished that she would just let you go to school already.

"I understand that you want to explore since you're new here; but it's also not safe for you to be out at night. Better do it when the sun's out." she advised, her stare turning back to a stern one.

"Alright. I'll go now. Have a nice day." you politely said, bowing your head afterwards.

On the way to your school, you thought about the supervisor's advice. You wondered if she truly cared about your safety or she only wanted you to go back early for them to have a peaceful rest. The act reminded you of your parents, putting a bitter smile on your face. Thinking of your parents, they only messaged you about your allowance for the week, not really bothering to ask about you. You heaved a sigh, used to their antics.

"Are you ready for today?"

You gasped, quickly looking to the direction of the most familiar voice you know in Daegu. Taehyung gave you a half-smile, exuding his usual playful aura. He walked beside you to your classroom, your clouded mind clearing out at the sight of him.

"You startled me, vandal." you remarked, glaring at him jokingly. He tittered with a guilty expression on his face, accustomed to your nickname for him.

It was strange to casually walk beside Taehyung at school. For the past week, you didn't really interact at class; you only met outside of your school to paint across the district.

After all, you haven't considered each other as friends— at least to you, Taehyung was just a distraction and a chance to get you more money. You hardly adjusted to your newly enforced lifestyle and you chose not to see it as a reality.

But, in that moment, you incredulously felt light on your feet. Maybe it was the thought of having someone or how refreshing it was to be close to Taehyung early in the morning. He looked neat in his uniform. The scent of his washed hair mixed with the smell of his lavender lotion; oddly soothing you and distracting you further. You never really knew that since the stench of spray paint overpowered everything else.

"So? You think you're gonna win? Today's the last day." Taehyung cut the trance you were in.

It suddenly hit you. The bet was about to end and after this day, there was no other reason to keep seeing each other. For a split second, you felt a deep tug on your heartstrings but the thought of winning instantly made you feel determined for it to end.

"Yup. Just one last chase before you pay me." you confidently said, smirking up at him.

Taehyung grinned at you, shaking his head. His eyes arrayed evident amusement as he stopped on his tracks to turn to you.