𝟹. | 𝚠𝚒𝚝𝚑 𝚎𝚟𝚎𝚛𝚢 𝚙𝚛𝚘, 𝚖𝚞𝚜𝚝 𝚋𝚎 𝚊 𝚌𝚘𝚗.

fumiko's pov:

-february 28th, 9:55 a.m.-

"hayashi, dazai. i have a job for us three."

kunikida was holding a case file, walking over to us. my head perked up from my computer, and dazai raised his head from his desk.
"what's up, kunikida?" i ask, raising an eyebrow.

"mmnghh?" dazai groans, blinking the sleep out of his eyes. kunikida hands dazai the file.

"since you want to be lazy, you read it first." kunikida growls. dazai shrugs, opens the file, and reads it. as his eyes skim over the file, his eyes widen with fear. he closes it, stands up so quickly it made a wooosh! sound of the wind, and dragged kunikida by his shirt to a secluded area.

"do not open that file, hayashi!" dazai calls, before vanishing down the hallway with a questioning kunikida. i shrug, and i don't listen. i take the file and i open it, looking for my glasses so i could read it.

the yakuza reappearance report:

my eyes widen with fear, my hands grip the case file so hard it crinkles the sides. i haven't seen or heard word of the yakuza ever since they died out.

the yakuza mafia that was supposedly wiped out by a brute and unknown force seems to terrorize yokohama mysteriously once more.

mysteriously, my ass. i thought, sharply exhaling out of my nose out of anger. i knew who murdered the yakuza, it was my dirty little secret.

no signs on how the mafia found itself again, but they need to be stopped in their tracks, before they do more damage than they had in the past.

there were some photos that showed some of the yakuza's whereabouts, and some photos were even taken of the members from a distance.

"of fucking course, they never even knew how to hide correctly." i snarled quietly to myself. i heard shoes click on the floor, and i closed the file and placed it carefully on dazai's desk.

i was more than ready to relive that hell again. i was more than ready to face the yakuza mafia again.

i was more than ready to become that brute and unknown force again.

that, was my dirty little secret.

dazai's pov:

-february 28th, 9:57 a.m.-

"do not open that file, hayashi!"

i instructed before walking down the hallway. i didn't even know why i told him that, she was going to open it either way, he's stubborn.

"dazai, what the hell are you doing, you meddlesome blockhead?!" kunikida questioned. i sighed, and let go of his shirt. my voice got low, almost to a whisper.

"kunikida, do not let hayashi on this case." i looked him in the eye.

"why? it's only the yakuza case. is there something you're not telling me, dazai?!" kunikida pondered, furrowing his brow.

"do not interrogate me on this. just don't let her on this case!" i whisper-yelled.

"you're actually being serious!" kunikida widened his eyes.

"no shit! he doesn't need to be included in this case. it's a topic to not be discussed. just don't. let. her. on. the. case!" my voice was going to get louder, but i had to be quiet.

"i have to, even the president wants hayashi on this case! he said to include him especially!" kunikida flailed his arms in the air. i was about to say something, but i stopped myself. i was now stumped, my mouth agape. why would the president want her on the case? did mr. fukuzawa know about hayashi's past with the yakuza?! fuck. i thought, this is going to be a bumpy ride.

"fine. but if hayashi does anything rash, don't ask questions." i clenched my fists together.

kunikida nodded, "you two worry me." he spoke suspiciously.

we walked back into the office, and hayashi hadn't touched the file, or so it seemed. he had her head on his palm, looking at the computer. her expression was a mix of horrified and angry, and her glasses were on.

"hayashi read the file." ranpo blurted. hayashi slammed his fist onto the table and threw her katana right at ranpo's head. but it only got his hat, it was for the purpose of scaring ranpo, not hurting him. ranpo yelped in fear, closing his eyes and waiting for death to take him. he noticed his hat was no longer on his head, and a katana wasn't piercing through his skull. he sighed and looked behind him. it was pinned onto the wall by hayashi's katana. he sighed and tried to pry the katana off his hat and the wall, but it was all in vain. "hayashi!" ranpo whined, "get your katana off my hat! i like that hat!" hayashi stood up and effortlessly took the katana out of the wall. he grabbed ranpo's hat and acted like she was giving it to him. but before ranpo took it, hayashi held it high in the air. hayashi was taller than ranpo, three inches taller to be exact. ranpo being 5'6" and hayashi being 5'9". "give it back!" ranpo clawed on the bottom of hayashi's shirt. i snickered, still a bit mad and worried about hayashi looking at the file. was he going to be okay about this?

"only if you give me your chocolate pocky sticks for being a fucking snitch." hayashi dangled the hat in ranpo's face, snatching it up whenever he tried to take it back.

"alright, fine! but give me my hat!" ranpo whined. she tossed ranpo his hat, placed her katana in its holster, and sat back down.

"dazai, whatever reason you told me not to read that file, was not a good one. if you're worried about me, don't be. i can handle this, it's only the yakuza case." hayashi looked me dead in the eyes, and shook with fear whenever he said "yakuza".

"it's my job."

that sentence hit me like a brick. it was always hayashi's excuse to do anything. it happened at the yakuza, it happened at the port mafia,

and it was going to happen here, too.

today was such a good day. a good lunch, a good time with hayashi and the others, a good day.

but whenever hayashi and i looked at each other, we both knew one thing,

with every pro, must be a con.

hi im so sorry this chapter is short i'm having a bad case of writers block </33

anyways thank you so much for reading and stay safe!!

remember to vote or my new chickens will peck out your eyes but they'll do it cutely

-peachy <33

[1085 words]