The Cast

I felt I had totally bombed the audition, but some of my friends told me I did great. Then again, they're my friends, so they could've been lying to make me feel good.

Scott and I could barely stand the sight of each other, and it was getting worse by the day.

Finally, after I felt like I couldn't take it anymore, it was Wednesday.

I was at home, getting a quick snack and finishing an assignment before play practice. The music was blaring as loud as I could put it without receiving complaints. The assignment was more difficult than I thought it would be and the music was really good, so I lost track of time. When I checked the clock, I was already ten minutes late leaving. Then, out of instinct, I began the route to the Village Theater, but Drew and Katherine had deliberately told us on Saturday to go the Rose Theater.

By the time I arrived, I was around twenty-five minutes late. I was preparing my apologies as I rushed in, but actually not too surprisingly, I had walked into a really intense fight.

Villagers vs. Roses. Oooof course.

"WELL MY THEATER HAS A BIGGER STAGE!" Katherine argued.

"MY THEATER HAS BETTER ACOUSTICS!" Drew yelled back.

"THAT DOESNT MATER. THE ROSE THEATER IS FANCY!"

"THE VILLAGE THEATER IS COMFORTABLE!"

"SO IS THE ROSE!"

"HAVE YOU FELT THOSE SEATS? NUH UH, MISSY."

"DONT CALL ME MISSY!"

"UH, LOOKS LIKE I JUST DID."

Katherine and Drew were both breathing heavily and looked ready to pounce. The fight must have been going on for a while. I thought it may have been ending, but I guess they had more to battle out. 

"THE AISLES ARE BIGGER IN MY THEATER!" Drew continued.

"THE ENTRYWAY IS PRETTIER IN MINE!"

"MY BACKSTAGE IS MORE ORGANIZED!"

It was obvious I wouldn't be able to get any farther in the lobby so I just continued standing there.

"YOUR CEILINGS ARE TOO LOW!"

"THEY ARE NOT. YOU WANNA MEASURE?"

"MAYBE I DO!"

I rubbed my temples. My eyes drifted to Scott, where he was doing the same thing, so I immediately stopped.

"THEN LET'S GO!"

"WE'LL DO IT AFTER."

"FINE," Drew paused. "WELL MINE IS CLOSER TO MCDONALD'S!"

Everybody in the Village Theater nodded, like that was the best argument so far.

"WELL, WE'RE CLOSER TO STARBUCKS!"

It went almost silent. "You make a very good point, Katherine."

She shrugged, arms crossed. "That's what I do."

"Fine, if we do the play at the Rose Theater, then you have to provide everybody in the cast Starbucks every day we perform. INCLUDING me."

She firmly stuck out her hand. "Deal."

"Dont forget," he warned, grabbing her hand.

"I won't."

And they shook.

The eye contact was extreme.

After a few tense moments of them continuing the argument through their eyes, Drew ushered us all into the actual theater portion. Personally, I thought he was giving in too easily. Our theater would've been better, but whatever. If Drew wanted to just agree with Katherine, I wasn't gonna start anything with him.

"Everybody up on stage," he directed.

We stood in our ten person cliques of Roses and Villagers.

"How about I tell my actors and actresses their parts and you tell yours their parts?" Katherine suggested.

"Sure, wanna go back and forth?"

Katherine nodded. "Yeah."

"So guys, we changed most of the names to be more modern. We'll tell you the original name and the new name. Katherine and I did sit down after she had made up the casting to make sure I agreed with everything, and let me tell you. I could not have done a better job myself- it was absolutely perfect."

Katherine blushed, her face turning a deep pink, which caused Drew to grin.

"Ill start," Katherine said, attempting to change the subject, walking over to the side full of Roses. "Benvolio, aka Benjamin or Benny, will be played by Joel."

Applause echoed throughout the theater.

Drew stood in front of all his Villagers. There was a knot in my stomach and I was hoping he'd announce me first.

No such luck. "Mercutio, aka Mark, will be played by Thomas."

More applause.

Katherine told the group, "Friar Laurence, now Judge Lenny, will be played by Jeffrey." There were a few "woo!"s intertwined with applause that was obviously going to come after every part that was announced.

"Friar John, aka Judge John, and an extra will be played by Sean," Drew bellowed. "When we say extra, we mean that there's a few lines that assigned to random people like "servingman" so we'll hand those out as we go along."

We all nodded in understanding.

"Paris is still named Paris, but it's now a girl. That girl is Maggie," Katherine asserted, looking up to smile at her.

"The Prince is now named William. Ha, get it? Prince William?" He chuckled to himself. "And an extra. And that's played by Chris."

Everybody snickered a bit.

"The Capulets are now Caplans and the Montagues are now Montgomerys. Capulet, aka Mr. Caplan, and an extra is Eric."

"Lady Capulet, aka Mrs. Caplan, and an extra is Kate."

"Montague, aka Mr. Montgomery, and an extra is Collin," Katherine rambled off, reading the list.

"Lady Montague, aka Mrs. Montgomery, and an extra is Kennedy."

Katherine went on, "Sampson, aka Sam, and an extra servant, is Jared."

Drew seemed anxious. "Abram is now a girl named Abbie, plus another servant played by Leila."

"Gregory is now a girl named Grace and another servant and that is played by Kiley." Rylie looked up. "Huh?"

"No, I said Kiley. Kuh not Ruh. Sorry."

She sighed, defeated.

Drew put emphasis on the R. "Rylie is the Apothecary who we've named Ashley, and an extra."

"Balthazar is renamed as Brian and and extra who is played by Neil."

The applause was slowly becoming just a lazy three claps instead of a dozen energetic ones.

"Peter will still be named Peter, and an extra will be played by David," Drew announced.

"The Nurse, who's name is Angelica in the play, who we've named Angel, but we'll be calling her Nellie. I know it's confusing, but it'll just be Nellie the nurse. And that's played by Maddie," Katherine explained.

With each name they said, my heart beat faster. The realization came over me that it was only me, Scott, and Tyler left for the roles of Tybalt, Ryan, and James.

"Tybalt has been renamed Trent and will be portrayed by Tyler," Drew put delicately, knowing many people had actually complained to him about Tyler getting amazing roles when he makes everybody's experience miserable. And then it hit me. The only roles left were Ryan and James. Scott and I were also the only ones left without a part.

"And now we're down to our lovely Romeo, aka Ryan Montgomery, played by our wonderful Scott."

Nobody even clapped because Drew said the last one right away. "Which leaves good ol' Mitch here to be our Juliet, aka James Caplan. Get ready for some romance, you two."

The applause was enormous.