Tuesday

Tuesday was ordinary, like any other Tuesday, except I paid more attention to Scott. He did the same to me, yet we barely talked at school. It was no problem though. I still got to see him.
At the end of the school day, he caught up with me.
"Hey," he greeted breathlessly, coming up behind me.
I swung around to see if the voice was directed at me. I assumed it was, since it was basically just Scott and I in the middle of the hallway. I usually stayed a little later after school to wait for students to clear out. Apparently, he did the same. Or maybe he had just been talking to a teacher... I wasn't sure.
"Hi," I said, surprised, considering I hadn't said a word to him since the night before. All day it had just been shy smiles and lingering glances.
"Mitch, can I ask you like a huge favor?"
I gulped. "Uh, I uh... Yeah. Sure."
"My car broke down after practice and my roommate had to pick me up last night and drop me off this morning, but they just called and said they couldn't get me now, that something came up... and I don't really have a ride and..."
"Oh, if you're asking for a ride you can totally come with me."
"Oh my god, thank you. I'm sorry this is last minute and stuff, but I just thought since we're going to the same place..." Scott trailed off.
"It's all good, my car is this way," I assured, starting to walk. "It's weird your car broke down though, didn't you drive it just last night to practice?"
"Yeah, it is weird. It's getting diagnosed today though so we'll see."
"Good thing we didn't try to take it to Starbucks last night. Or maybe it would've been better because then you wouldn't have had to bother your roommate."
"Oh, I'm sure he doesn't mind. Isaac is really chill, if a bit irritating."
It shouldn't have surprised me when he said Isaac. I mean, I wasn't expecting him to live with a girl. But this small orb of, oh what is it... jealousy? grew within me. Why was I jealous though? I barely even like Scott.
"Speaking of your roommate," I began, exiting the doors and going to the brisk wind of November. "Did you ask him about practicing this weekend?"
Scott followed. "Yes, actually. He said he was planning on going out anyway so feel free to come over on Saturday."
"Cool, what time?"
"I don't know, like, noon?"
I nodded. "Okay, I'll be there. Where do you live?"
We arrived at my car and I unlocked it. We both got inside, then I quickly started it and turned up the heat so we could be warm.
"1657 Birmingham Avenue, apartment 2C. Basically from The Rose Theater, you'll take a right, then go straight for a while, then another right and finally the second left. It's pretty easy to find, anyway."
"You may have to remind me of those," I warned, setting the car to drive and stepping on the gas.
"No problem."
"Do you have anything at home you need to gr--" I asked, but was interrupted by his phone.
"Sorry," he apologized, reaching from his phone which he had previously set in the cup holder. "Continue."
"Do you have anything at home you need to grab, or can we stop at my place for a snack then go straight there?"
"I believe I have everything I need."
"Okay."
Out of the corner of my eye I saw Scott reading a text. It was amazing to me that Scott was sitting in my car. He had asked me for a ride. There were plenty of other college kids in the play he could've asked, but he chose me.
"Yes!" Scott exclaimed suddenly, shattering my wall of thoughts.
"What is it?"
"Well on Saturday before I went to your place I got something in my car redone and apparently it came loose. Like it was loose when I drove to practice yesterday but that was the last straw I guess, and it completely came apart. But they're fixing it for me for free because I didn't cause it. It was their bad job for not doing it right the first time," Scott excitedly ranted.
"Well that's good. The no charge oughta be nice."
"Mhmmmm," he agreed.
I drove a little longer, neither of us talking, until I parked.
"This is it," I declared, pulling the key out of the ignition.
"I recognize it, considering I was just here."
"Oh, yeah, duh," I cringed, my face turning red. I immediately got out so he couldn't see, hoping that if he did, he'd think it was from the wind.
We ran inside and to my apartment, 5B.
"What do you want to eat?" I questioned, throwing my stuff on the table.
"I don't care. What do you have?"
I scoured the fridge and cupboards. "Mac and cheese?"
"Yeah!"
I laughed a little at his enthusiasm. "Okay!" I said, trying to copy his level of excitement. He didn't quite laugh, but did the kind of laugh where you blow more air out of your nostrils than usual while you have a slight smile playing on your lips. "I'll make it quick so we're not late."
"Need any help?"
"If you could start boiling some water that'd be great."
"It'd be a pleasure," he replied with a tiny bit of sarcasm in his voice.
"The pots and pans are in there," I told him, pointing to a cupboard on the bottom. He reached down and grabbed a saucepan.
I searched the fridge for milk and butter, for the Kraft recipe calls for 1/4 cup of milk and four tablespoons of butter.
While the macaroni and cheese was cooking, we discussed Katherine and Drew a little more. Then we enjoyed our food and scurried off to practice. Katherine was way better than the day before.
After practice, I offered Scott a ride home but he said Isaac was coming to pick him up.
"Okay, just checking," I explained.
"But thank you so much for driving earlier and offering now."
"Anytime."
I turned around and sighed. Why couldn't it just be Saturday?