Chapter 19

"You can nearly bend your knee at a 90 degree angle. That's pretty impressive. Most patients your age don't get the full range of motion back," Liam announced, pushing on Hannibal's knee at an uncomfortable angle, but Hannibal stayed quiet. "And how has walking on it been?"

"Stiff," Hannibal replied only because he had to, not because he wanted to.

"Your muscles are also looking good. They're strong. It still needs a little bit of work, but I've seen marines with your injury and they had hardly any muscle left in their legs. They have to build it all back up." Liam released Hannibal's knee and looked over the killer for a moment, taking in his countenance. "You seem in a better mood."

"I suppose exercise was a help," Hannibal grumbled, more wanting to be left alone than prodded at. He knew what his body was capable of, but he also knew that Liam would do whatever he could to get money.

Liam hummed in disbelief, motioning for Hannibal to lift his shirt to look over the scarring that was there. Fingers pressed into and around the scarring and Hannibal closed his eyes in dislike. "You're still a little sensitive. The scaring seems a little agitated. Did you hurt yourself?"

"Had a bit of weight put on it on accident," Hannibal explained, not offering any more than that. Liam didn't need to know about his private affairs. No one needed to. "I would have called on you if it were serious."

Liam shook his head with a smug smile. "No you wouldn't have." Liam, satisfied with whatever he did or didn't find, straightened up and Hannibal lowered his shirt. "Let's take a walk around the room. I want to make sure you're functioning alright."

Hannibal didn't fight, simply rose from the bed, his leg a little weak under him, the knee shaking slightly until it had become accustomed to the weight now being put on it. The pace set was a little slow, but nothing excruciating as it had been when he was trying to figure the crutches.

It felt freeing to not have to depend on anything anymore and to keep up a steady step around the rather large bedroom that Alana and Margot had let him use. He felt like he could walk to the stables without having to stop to rest his arms and the leg that had been supporting him for nearly the last month. He could cook a full meal without having to hop on one foot like a rabbit. He could leave and run far away. He could escape from Jack and Alana and Margot and all of the other people that hated him, the list was extensive.

But would Will come with him?

He didn't want to leave if it meant not taking the empath with him. He was sure Will would say no, even if he had begged to be shown the world, which was something Hannibal was more than willing to do for the man. Will wasn't one to throw caution to the wind and Will was very nearly settled back into his life, save a few minor drawbacks.

Hannibal couldn't stay here for much longer. He knew that. He was already well acquainted with the idea and he ran before. From Florence to Baltimore. He could go anywhere he wanted or needed to. He always stayed in cooler climates. Maybe somewhere on a beach would be nice for a change.

He could leave Will. He would have to leave Will. It was something he would have to get more than acquainted with. And he had left Will before, though it drove him nearly insane. He almost felt bad for what he had done to Anthony Dimmond. Almost being the key word.

The man who looked too close to Will's appearance for his own good. A man who had flirted with Hannibal the moment they had met. A man who Hannibal couldn't bring himself to kill at dinner, but had the next time after his secret was uncovered. Hannibal could have played Dimmon, strung him along so easily. He was such a flirt. Seduction would have been easy, but Hannibal felt like it would betray Will in some way, though that wasn't logical in the slightest.