xvi.

taehyung

blackness shrouded his eyes and all the devil had was the plummet. his senses fell dead upon him, his skin could only find comfort in itself. his ears heard no sound but his pleas for salvation. there was no god in this place, no soul to save him, for his own was ripped from his chest.

for years on end, lucifer cried out to his father.

"i'm sorry," he'd scream, his voice growing hoarse as time passed.

he thought, surely, if he felt true remorse, he'd be saved from his prison. if he begged and pleaded, if he listed every wrong he'd ever done, the ground would materialize beneath him, heaven's light would shine upon him, and he could go home, but that day didn't come, nor would it ever.

millennia passed and the longer he fell, the stronger his beliefs grew. if humans were never created, his father would have never asked the impossible from him. he'd be home, with his brothers, serving the only being worth serving.

all he had was his hatred. he plotted for the humans' demise upon his arrival in their realm. the ways they'd burn and toil through mud and muck at his feet. lucifer contemplated how he'd turn them on their god, show them the evil and malice in the creator's ways; never allowing them to truly know peace, to know the god he once knew.

he wanted to destroy mankind; burn them down and  water the ashes, but a bigger dream beckoned him. to have mankind destroy itself, to reject their god, and never find paradise, would be true justice. for, how could they be allowed to know paradise if he himself could not see it? they had no right to a world they did not create, nor protect.

despite his resolution, his fall continued. the years passed like a disease unwilling to part from its victim. the abyss stole his warmth and drowned him in icy waters only he could save himself from.

the isolation turned lucifer's heart to stone. there was no room in his soul for love. he had been turned away and shamed for the limits of his heart, so he shrank its borders and allowed no being inside. if he could not be allowed to love who his heart chose, then, there was nothing worth loving.