The First Morning

Heads up! I'm going to be updating every weekend, preferably Friday-Saturday. I hope you're enjoying the story so far!
____________________________________________________________

The day had finally arrived. The day everyone - especially Jesse McCree - had been waiting for:

The day the Shimada - or the Smiths - came to Overwatch High.

The two brothers were now ready to leave the house, though their morning was not without struggle.

Hanzo was awake first, of course, but he was tasked with the duty of waking up his brother. The two had never gone to school before, always having private tutors, but Genji would never wake up early for them either. In other words, this was going to be a challenge.

"Genji." Hanzo grumbled, still in his pajamas - which consisted of a plain t-shirt and a pair of shorts to match. He huffed as Genji mumbled incoherently in his sleep and turned away from his brother. He was grasping onto a nearby pillow tightly, strangling the poor thing. Hanzo then started to shake Genji, but to no avail. His brother swatted at his hands with a grunt, which set Hanzo off.

He shoved Genji. He shoved him right out of the bed, earning a yelp from the younger as he collided with the carpet floor. He sat up with a frown, rubbing at the back of his head, the green strands of hair flopping around as he looked up at the older.

"Hanzo..!" he whined, a yawn interrupting his complaints. The two turned as Genji's door opened, surprised to see Maemi staring at them. She didn't look great.

From what the boys could see of her, her black hair was a tangled mess, draping over her eyes in thin, vine-like strands. It couldn't hide the bags under her eyes, however, that empty gaze still remaining in them. The two hadn't seen her for two days, and they weren't sure if they wanted to anymore. They weren't even sure if she had been eating, but the plates of food they brought her had disappeared, so they were only left with the option to just assume the best. When she spoke, the brothers were taken aback, the raspy tone in her voice striking them.

"Are you two alright...?" she asked, a concerned tilt in that gravelly voice of hers. She looked in between her children. "I heard a bang..." Genji quickly stood up, smiling at her slightly.

"We're alright, Mother! Just getting ready for our first day." He set down the pillow he was still clutching onto, coming over to Maemi. "I'm glad to see you out of that room of yours! Are you feeling alright?" She didn't answer, not completely in the right state of mind to discuss her true feelings on the matter.

"Genji.." Hanzo started, coming up to his brother and tugging him away from the somewhat frail woman. "Let's just get ready for school."

"But-"

"Genji." He nodded towards Maemi, Genji taking the chance to get a good look at her as she averted her gaze. With a sigh, he gave another smile to his mother.

"Yea, we should get ready!" He turned back around, marching over to his disheveled closet. Hanzo rolled his eyes at the mess, stepping out of the room with Maemi.

"I'll be making breakfast soon, if you would like some." Hanzo frowned a little as she shook her head, though he nodded. "Alright.. I'll see you after school then, Mother." He watched as she wandered back down the hall, stalking into her room. He took a deep breath, pulling some of the stray strands of his hair behind his ear before making his way back to his own room, reluctantly getting ready for the day.